Does this sound like I'm experiencing SVT??

Posted , 9 users are following.

Ok so first I'll give some background info on myself. I am currently 30 years old male who is 6 feet 2 inches tall and weigh 170 lbs. I have been active and involved in sports my whole life primarily basketball and weight lifting as well as sprints and high intensity interval training.

These "attacks" for me started about 3 years ago I'd say I was 27 and just began one day during an intermediate intensity basketball shoot around.

To describe the attacks i suffer from I would say its a sudden "thump" or "drop" of the heart and then it goes into very fast rhythm which then causes me anxiety as a result of this happening and typically i also experience dizziness,weakness, blurred vision and sometimes arm,hand and feet tingling or numbness. I have been to the ER about 15 times in the past two years for these attacks and each time every single thing checks out perfectly and they say its anxiety. the attacks last anywhere from 3-30 minutes and are somwhat different but primarily the same each time.

The most common triggers are exercise of any sort or even doing something thst requires any sort of exertion at all, caffeine (which i have stayed away from completely for over a year now) and stress, although they have happened before completely at rest watching movies at home.

So I've had a month long event monitor and two 48 hour heart monitors and had several attacks happen during these. The cardiologist also has done heart echo or ultrasound testing and stress tests. He says its just pvc and pac episodes even during these attacks. Ive done days upon days of research on this as its affecting my life in such a negative way. All I want is a solution and an answer. To me my episodes sound exactly like svt even though the cardiologist hasn't mentioned svt to me ever.

The thing that really got me to thinking about svt was a colleague of mine at work described her heart issues and she said it was full diagnosed as svt and her description in great detail sounds exactly the same as what i experience in every way.

So my question is does someone with experience think this sounds like svt? If so any suggestions how I should approach this with my cardiologist to not insult him and also to look st possible treatment?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I get an diagnosed both.. SVT's and panic attacks.  I was explained how to tell the difference between the two and I will share.  I was told that a panic attack will start off slow and build up faster, faster and faster and when it ends.. it ends slower, then slower, and then slower, util it stops.  Now.. for a SVT, it starts very fast, in a split second!  There is no build up.  Your heart could go from normal to 200bpm in just one heartbeat!   Also, when it ends.. it goes from very fast back to normal in a single heart beat also.  So, I hope I explained it where it is easily understood.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. So from this it sounds like its possible i may experience both at times. When i exercise Or shoot hoops on a basketball court there are times where the wrong movement or landing from jumping will put me straight into it immediately. Then there are times i feel like its coming on and it feels more and more like ones gonna happen and then finally either it does or i take a beta blocker and it keeps it away.
    • Posted

That was a perfect explanation. SVT as you mentioned is like turning on a swtich and then turning off the switch. My first episode was caught on an ecg, I was lucky for that. I had an unsuccessful ablation last June because of a benzo I was taking for anxiety.  To all who are considering an ablation , go for it.  Successful rate is 97%.  Unfortunetly,

I was part of the 3%,  I will do it again once I am off medications. Atleast next time, I will know the drill. Not so scary next time

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. So from what i gather mine seems to lean towards anxiety attack as far as..when mt heart is doing thr the pvc and the palpitations during things like exercise i can slow down and stop myself from pushing myseld harder and i can usually keep myself from having one if i slow down alot on intensity of my workout..however there are times like when i play basketball or do squats where if i land after jumping to shoot thr basketball it will sometimes throw me directly into this attack...however when i come off the attack.it is fairly gradual for the most part where it kind of gets better and better as time goes on. Basketball is one of my favorite things to do...so it doesn't make sense to me i guess how it could be anxiety if its something i have always loved and it happens just as soon as i make a certain move or jump and land. I have done these workouts with Holter monitors on and go into these attacks and my cardiologist says PVC and PAC during this

• Posted

I've had SVT for 50 years. Sounds like you have it to me. One way to be certain is by describing more of what happens during an episode. The onset sounds exact. After your heart begins to race are you able to continue in the sport? I've been a avid cyclist my whole life and when I have one, I can continue if I really want to, but it's totally uncomfortable. So I have to stop, do the manuver where you croutch to the ground and hold your breath. This can take some time depending on the attack. When the attack ceases, there is total relief and I can continue on my ride. SVT has an absolute "Start" and "Finish".  

• Posted

Thanks vader. I will attempt to describe my attacks exactly as i experience them.

Usually it begins during exercise and my heart begins to beat rapidly or feels like its doing quick palpitations. Then i feel kind if a drop or a thump or something and that sends me into the attack. When the attack begins i experience what feels like shortness of breath or hyperventilating somewhat..it feels kinda hard to catch my breath or feels like im.not getting enough oxygen. I also feel dizziness and blurred vision. I feel like im gonna pass out. I also experience tingling arms fingers and toes and very shaky hands. It usually lasts between 5-30 minutes. I also have been to the ER during an attack where i will have resting heart rate between 170-190 and blood pressure 180/110 ( by the time I get there meaning it could be higher before i arrive but that i am not sure about).

After the attacks i do feel mostly fine but very tired and exhausted and it feels like i will go back into it if i keep exercising. My heart will feel very sensitive and touchy if i attempt to go back to my workout.

Do you have any suggestions of what i can do to deal with this or what i can try to live a normal life or be ablw to workout again? My cardiologist insists i only have pvcs as well as the ER..the ER also tells me im havint an anxiety attack...however this happens to specific triggers like things i enjoy working out playing basketball etc..and typically only happens then.

• Posted

Interesting. Like I said in my previous post, episodes have a distinct Start and Finish point. Very distinct. You absolutely know when it's over, and yes, you can feel tired or exhausted. But I can return to whatever I'm doing.

Also, most of my attacks do happen during intense workouts or activities. Even shouting at a baseball game or watching an intense movie can send me over the edge.

At this point in my life at 57 I have returned to some previous vices that are not good for the health. For 35 years I stopped drinking and smoking anything. During that time I could easily stop a SVT attack and they were not very common. I also stayed in excellent shape and ate a very healthy diet.

I picked up drinking again and did smoke for a short time and that was a huge mistake. The attacks became frequent and harder to stop. Now, I'm going back to my previous lifestyle so I can manage this problem much better.

Have you tried the breathing technique to stop the event? Or splashing cold water in your face? Both of these work. 

• Posted

Thanks again..i will try those techniques and research them better..the odd thing to me is I've never smoked or drank in my life and have always been involved in track and basketball and football.. Ive always lifted weights and ran. Just one day it began and never stopped.

One more question i have is have you done an ablation or found any cardiac medications that helped you? Out of curiosity whar does your doctors tell you to do about your svt?

• Posted

You don't have to smoke or drink to have this. We are born with it. It's just that those vices contribute to the problem and make it worse.

I also am an athlete but could never do sports in High School because of this. I was afraid I would be out on the football field and this would strike at the wrong time. But I did go into the Marines and served six years, passing all physical tests at almost a 100% score, which was a 3 mile run, max pull ups, and max sit ups in 2 minutes.

I'm also an avid weight lifter and bodybuilder. I was benching 325lbs, free weight, when I was 34 years old. I'm also one of the fastest cyclists in our County, where I have won races.

But I have dealt with SVT since I was a young kid so I know how to fight back and win. That's why I'm on here, as I see so many people today giving in to the Medical Industry where they act like God, giving us dangerous and addictive medications that only make our lives miserable.

We are also dealing with Obesity in the United States, which has become the number 1 Health Epidemic in our Country.

I've attached a picture of me at 49, where I won in this 5 week Crit Series. And I'm a man who deals with SVT. 

• Posted

Yes.. as Vader mentioned, we are born with this.  Most people have their first attack in their teens.  You mentioned that yours started when you were 27?  That's a bit odd.. I think.  Maybe it's not SVT.  Perhaps your doctor and the ER is right.  Just a thought...

• Posted

Could very well be.. i also haven't ever had pvcs or pacs until this started as well..i was fine all through high school and college in sports and still even after college...it just all began 3 years ago when i was 27 . There were no changes or different things in my life..no new events or medications or anything. Just came out of nowhere...my cardiologist has diagnosed me with pvc via ekg and holter. However never been diagnosed with svt. My primary and cardiologist have neber mentioned trying an anxiety medication even though the ER says its that. I guess propranolol does have anti anxiety qualities so maybe i should take it more often. Thanks for your reply and your information

• Posted

Thanks vader. Do i understand correctly that the only method you use for svt is just vagal maneuvers?
    • Posted

Hi I feel this way when hyperventilating when I'm having a panic attack seems to me you might have both but you really need to be diagnosed by a cardiologist try breathing in a paper bad when it happens if it helps you know it's hyperventilation if not call an ambulance try and catch it straight away

• Posted

Thanks crissy i will definitely try that and see if it helps. The main issue is when this happens im almost always at the gym without access to things like that unless i always take one in my gym bag with me. Are there any other ways to help it other than paper bag method? I do try to do controlled breathing but it doesn't seem to help much with the feeling of shortness of breath

• Posted

See with my svt but everyone is different my heart pounds but I don't get shortness of breath it's hard to tell with you because your working out at the time if it's svt you need to learn how to slow it down with what the cardiologist shows you but with a panic attack I usually put my hand over my mouth sit and try and slow my breathing breath through the nose and out of your mouth count to 5 and keep doing it I also but my hands over my mouth not as good as a paper bag but it helps avoid alcohol caffeine make sure your hydrated I hope you get an answer how frustrating let us know how you go

• Posted

Yes, until recently. I had never heard of using the Ice Cold Water in the Face method. That stopped the last episode and was very glad to have discovered a different way to stop it.

Right now I'm taking a very serious approach to SVT because of what I stated in my previous posts. My lifestyle became out of "Balance", and I could clearly see why my episodes had increased and had become longer. After 50 years of dealing with this, at least for me, I see why my problems has become worse.

At this point, I refuse to go the doctor until I've done all I can by changing my habits and lifestyle. Remember, we are at the mercy of a "System" that is drugging everyone from children to adults, and cures don't make them money. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.