Does this sound like ibs

Posted , 7 users are following.

For nearly a year now I've been suffering with abdominal pains and my stools alternate between loose and normal then hard.

I've had numerals tests done from blood tests to ultrasound also stool sample and nothing has come back out of the ordinary.

I do suffer with some anxiety because I can't stop thinking it could be worse such as bowel or stomach cancer.

I'm 28 years old and have a little boy so I'm just worried something might happen to me because of the pains I get.the pains I get variate all over my abdomen but mainly get them left side upper and lower 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

it sounds exactly like IBS and your fears about cancer are what we all go through usually and hopefully given tests to date our fears are without foundation and merely serve to exacerbate the symptoms 

There are lots of dietary things you can do to reduce symptoms and  pills that reduce spasms and pain and if you already are anxious seek help like talking therapies *Cognitive Behaviour Therapy  to seek out things that help you cope

• Posted

Hi. I have IBS and the symptoms are awful. Combine it with anxiety and you are in a vicious circle. Anxious to go out due to stomach issues so yoyr stomach reacts badly which makes you more anxious. I did have ovarian cancer in the past and all the pain and bloatedness I had I thought was due to that coming back. It's stress and IBS. If you don't want to take medication....antidepressants worked very well for me then therapy diet and relaxation is your best bet. I would suggest talking to your Dr though. I know exactly.how you feel and it's crippling. I hope you feel better soon. Take care.

• Posted

YES It sounds just like Ibs - and yes you sound just like me ! Until I had tests done and all negative I was convinced I had bowel cancer , I have health anxiety related to the fear of any type of cancer , but now all my tests are clear and dr has said ibs my symptoms have settled down , hopefully yours will too , rest assured if it was anything to worry about tests would have picked it up - and the chances of it being anything like bowel cancer at your age is practically zero , try looking at adjusting your diet , and try and chill 😊

• Posted

Sounds like IBS. Don’t worry.  Cancer is more unlikely at your age.  Has your doctor suggested IBS?  If you have been diagnosed with IBS, ask for antispasmodic, try a food diary to see if you have food triggers or try The Low Fodmap diet. Try lots of fruit for constipation or a stool softener. With loose stools, reduce fruit and if you get diarrhoea, try Imodium or rice or bananas.  Codeine can also help.
  • Posted

Jason... So Sorry u r having such a hard time .. I to have IBS and aniexty. Sounds like the classic IBS syndrome... I just started taking something for my aniexty.. U may want to check in with your PCP and get something for your aniexty because the aniexty causes the IBS to b worse.. And your aniexty is triggering all of the above... I do understand completely.. Please talk with your PCP there is no reason for u to suffer from the aniexty and worry .. Which makes your IBS worse... Take Care and message me anytime..
    • Posted

What are yiur ibs symtoms as mine are simlair to period pains with no period I get nausea I don’t get diarrhoea only consirpation now and then now I have a uti which is my second in 2 months makes me wonder if it’s been uti all this time but I don’t know have u had a colonoscopy done 
    • Posted

Sometimes you can get urinary problems with IBS.  I thought I had a UTI when my symptoms started but I tested negative and antibotics resolved nothing.  Three and a half months afterwards, I was diagnosed with IBS.  IBS can feel like period pain and can make period pain worse.
    • Posted

That sounds like mine my uti was positive why do we get uti with ibs do u know what was your pain symptoms 
    • Posted

IBS and urinary problems such as frequent urination or infection are linked because of the proximity of the bowel and bladder.

I had generalised abdominal pain which moved about. I had changing types of pain: dull, stabbing deep grinding and sore to touch.

• Posted

I feel what your feeling and had all the blood works and stool test all was ok now I’ve got to the point of having a colonoscopy which I asked for as Docs keep saying ibs but can only be diagnosed with ibs if everything else is ruled out first I even had blood tests for cancer markers which were negative Docs says I worry too much but I also have anxiety so can’t help it 
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with IBS without a colonoscopy because I had no red flag symptoms. It was my anxiety and the fact I had been severely stressed six months before my symptoms appeared that got me diagnosed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.