Does this sound like Ménière's to you?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I am really desperate for opinions from you guys that have had this and how it started for you. I've never had any hearing or ear problems- no ear infections even as a child. I know that might not mean anything but I'm very scared as this is the first time dealing with this..

2 months ago I noticed my ear felt full/like it needed to pop but it wouldn't. All three docs (primary, ENT, and teaching hospital ENT) have said there is no fluid that they can see and I have taken two hearing tests and pressure tests which came back as better than average. About 10 days ago I noticed I was feeling mildly dizzy but definitely not severely. Still able to walk around and testing my own balance by standing on each foot while it's occurring.

These are my only 2 symptoms. So far no tinnitus, no hearing loss, and no severe vertigo. I'm 25 years old and the mother to a 2 year old. I'm feeling very sad and unlucky if I get this diagnosis at my age. Not that I would be any happier if I get this in 10 years but I just feel like I'm being robbed of my life if I have it. I realize it's manageable but I guess I am just grieving my life 2 months ago.

I see my doc in 2 weeks but am feeling anxious in the meantime and hoping for any opinion of those of you who have been diagnosed/ or any expert/or anyone really.

Thank you so much for reading my whiney post and I appreciate any input!!

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Clearly, this is not Meniere's disease, especially with normal audiograms, no tinnitus and no vertigo.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Thank you eleftherio, so Ménière's doesn't start out gradual? That's my fear is that it will just get worse over time and this is just the beginning.

• Posted

It can start gradually, but your symptoms do not fit.

• Posted

Eleftherio, if I do have Ménière's, and do not have tinnitus yet, when would that develop? I am still not experiencing severe vertigo- just dizziness but mild. Also the very full ear that is constant. No hearing loss. I am afraid I will develop the other 3 symptoms and I'm curious when that will happen as I'm living in fear. Thank you!!

• Posted

I do not believe yet that you have Meniere's disease.  Has ENT ruled out a sinus problem?

• Posted

Eleftherio, yes he has ruled sinus issues out. I took the full 10 days of levaquin and had no change. The CT scan only showed a little fluid/congestion but his colleagues said it was not enough to be worrried about. He said this could either be migraines or Ménière's sad I'm just very badly wanting to prevent tinnitus if I can. Is that possible?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.