Does this sound like mild bipolar

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I am currently being assessed after a reaction to Fluoxetine. Im told I definitely do not have bipolar type 1 but they want to go through my history.

A few years ago I had a baby. I found it traumatic as I didn't know what to expect. I also didn't know that some of the feelings I had afterwards weren't normal. My feelings were of paranoia, lost grip with reality, very strange behaviour I thought someone powerful was watching over me telling me to do things. I remember shouting and screaming on the ward after I'd had my baby but I was just given a sleeping tablet and the rest I can't remember. The strange bdhaviour continued for a couple weeks but I must have came out of it of my own accord as the hormones calmed down. I didn't discuss with midwives at the time but they did do a depression questionnaire on me, which came of nothing. Years later and not so young I had another baby, this time none of this happened so I realised my first experience wasn't normal. I've had a few years of dealing with stressful situations. But through this I achieved many good things and have at times taken on far more than the average person. This was until about four years ago when the low moods began, but outside stresses were increasing. I definitely bit off more than I could chew again and became very very low. All this and eating disorder, terrible pmt, obsessive behaviours, irritable and angry, unthought out decisions and self destructive behaviour such as leaving jobs and quitting things I'd taken on thinking I could manage. I'd rather quit than ask for help. The depression became severe and I was put on Fluoxetine. I was symptomatic of hypomania. The last time I felt like this is just had my baby. Does this sound like mild bipolar or just someone who needs to look after themselves and slow down? Is the baby incident relevant to my CPN?

I know this is a public forum but I need help.

Thankyou xxxxxxxxxx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like it might be. However, you need a mental health assessment to determine if bipolar is an option. If they think it is possible, they should give you mood stabilizers. They should even you out. Give it a try. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. The whole idea of going on a mood stabiliser petrifies me. But I know this won't go away. The thing is because of the stressful situations it's hard for them to work out if it's ptsd. However, my gut feeling is telling me both. Eeeeek.
    • Posted

Mood stabilizers are awesome. They keep my head on straight. You just have to find the right one for you. I, too, have ptsd, and the mood stabilizers help the bipolar without making my ptsd worse. I hope you can find the courage to give them a try if a psychiatrist thinks it's a good thing for you. Good luck! 😊
    • Posted

Thanks for the reassurance, I'm building up the confidence to be more honest about the issues I've been having !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.