Does this sound like mini-stroke or MS?

Posted , 2 users are following.

So I was in the hospital last night for an 'odd' episode. I'm female in early 30s. Good health.

I was standing in a shop, standing squarely, facing forward. Feet firmly planted. I had not just gotten up or anything. I had been looking at an object for a few minutes.

Suddenly (and it all happened in about 15-30 seconds) my left leg started side stepping repeatedly, making my stance wider and wider. In those few seconds my brain literally thought "why is my left leg stepping out to the side without me telling it to?". Then I realized what was happening. I was sinking down into my left side. I think my leg possibly was trying to support me but it was like it was weak and I slumped over the side and was weak for a moment. Like that side couldn't hold me up. I never fully collapsed but was able to catch myself but it was hard. I didn't feel like I was going to pass out. It was completely different. There was no darkness closing in around me. I've had that feeling once as a child. It was not this. It was like I didn't have command over my body for a moment and it was weak.

Afterwards I was very tired and light headed. I walked back to my car. Drove home (3 minutes away) and when I was about to get out, I reached for the handle of my car and missed it. I went inside. Sat down. When I got up my legs felt heavier a little for the next 20 minutes or so.

Later I decided to go into the hospital and get checked. When he gave me normal routine exam, touch his fingers my nose etc I passed perfectly. They ruled out a stroke and the doctor was very adamant that it could be MS and said I would need to get a follow up.  

My question: does this sound like something people get with MS? Can it come on so suddenly and go away so suddenly? 

They ruled out stroke, but only with EKG and blood test (i.e with no scans at all..so did they not rule it out then??)

Thanks so much

Nevi

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

There are two main types of stroke. A haemorrhage (bleed) and an ischaemic (clot), the latter account for about 85% of all strokes.

You can have a mini stroke of the latter, called a TIA. These come and pass very quickly and from what I understand, they do not leave a foot print, i.e. by the time you get to hospital, there is not much they can do to test whether you had a TIA or not. The ECG would have been to check whether there was any evidence of any blood clot previously and the blood test was probably to check your platelets, whcih are a measurement of your blood's clotting ability. A CT can would have been best, but they cost, so they are not always used.

I am not familiar with MS, so I do not know how the symptoms are, but I always thought it was a progressively slow disease and nothing happened suddenly.

TIAs, often repeat themselves. I suggest you Google Transient Ischaemic Attack and have a read. Here is the link to this website's page on it. Please bear in mind that this is a British website and it might be slightly different in the US.

https://patient.info/health/transient-ischaemic-attack

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply.

I had a read over the TIA info you sent. Thanks.  I have a follow up question though. 

1) If I had a TIA at 1pm.  For next hour I felt lightheaded, a bit out of it, and legs felt heavy (both sides though).  By 4pm I went to hospital to get checked out.  If I had that TIA at 1pm, is it possible to have no 'physical' symptoms by the time I got the hospital? I could raise arms etc just fine.  In other words, can you get a TIA and have no other symptoms after that 30 second event but what I said: fatigue, a little out of it and leg (both) heaviness for an hour?

Thanks so much for your time

• Posted

"is it possible to have no 'physical' symptoms by the time I got the hospital?"  Yes.

" can you get a TIA and have no other symptoms after that 30 second event but what I said: fatigue, a little out of it and leg (both) heaviness for an hour?"  Yes,

That is why they are called Transient, from our NHS website.

Initial assessment

TIAs are often over very quickly, so you may not have any symptoms by the time you see a doctor.

You will be asked about the symptoms you experienced during the TIA and how long they lasted. This will help to rule out other conditions that may have caused your symptoms.

Even if you no longer have symptoms, a neurological examination may still be needed. This involves simple tasks designed to check your strength, sensation and co-ordination skills.

I am not a doctor, just someone that had an acute brain haemorrhage (stroke) nearly three years ago, that kept me in hospital for two months. Who has a passing interest in strokes, the causes and the different types.

I certainly can't answer the question whether you had a TIA or not. But my advice is, if you are worried, seek a second opinion. On their own, TIAs are not so serious, but they are a warning sign, that a full stroke is possibly on its way. Please do some research, there is plenty of info out there and if you're still not happy, get that second opinion.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

Do I need an MRI asap? I worry an appointment would take a couple weeks. Or do I march over to the hospital again and ask for an MRI? How time sensitive is this?

Thanks

• Posted

One last thing too. The doctor at the hospital said to me: "TIAs don't make u feel lightheaded. They make you feel dizzy."

Is this really an accurate diagnostic tool?

Thanks

• Posted

I'm not sure how the US system works, as it is very different to the UK and our NHS. For example, we tend to use CT (CAT) scans more, where you guys always seem to have MRI scans.

Your issue isn't really about having a scan -

Do mini strokes show up on CT scans?

Tests will be done to rule out a stroke or other disorders that may cause the symptoms: You will likely have a head CT scan or brain MRI. A stroke may show changes on these tests, but TIAs will not. You may have an angiogram, CT angiogram, or MR angiogram to see which blood vessel is blocked or bleeding.

I think for your own piece of mind, you need a second opinion. If they are of the opinion that you have had a TIA, they will run angiograms and associated tests, to see if they can locate any source of a possible partial clot. They may also look at putting you on blood thinners if that is deemed appropriate.

As for the argument about light headedness and dizzyness, that is semantics. Light headedness is non specific and generally means feeling 'out of sorts'. TIA victims refer to the feeling by both terms, although the medical profession will use the more specific term of dizzyness.

To sum it up, a CT/MRI scan will not show a TIA, it only shows ischaemic and haemorrhagic strokes. Get yourself a second opinion, and if they think it might have been a TIA, then they will do the relevant tests to see if they can find the cause. In the mean time, stop stressing yourself out, stress is not good for the body.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.