Does this sound like rheumatoid arthritis to you?

Posted , 6 users are following.

middle finger and ring finger pain that started at the distal interphalangeal joint, then spread to the proximal interphalangeal joint in the middle of the fingers. I wake up with both of them fingers hurting and feel stiff in my toes and fingers ( both fingers & toes ) redness on my palms, hands have a warm feeling to them. exercising helps, but the pain never fully goes away, worse after being idle and not using them (stiffness) and my fist grip feels slightly weake ( both hands )

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi AJ, this is exactly how my RA began.. Your description is very clear and does not vary at all from the way my RA started..
    • Posted

Thank you. That is what i was looking for. I will see if i can get a test and and see if i have it. Has anything helped you (naturally) besides drugs?
    • Posted

Yes, it took a while for me to get it under control as it spread like wildfire within a few months after, as it was untreated as I waited for an appt. If I had been thinking more clearly through all the pain, I would have never ever waited 2 1/2 months for a Dr appt, but would have gone to an ER for prednisone and a tentative diagnosis. The untreated inflammation was very out of control by the time my appt arrived (RA doctor said he had never seen inflammation rates this high) that permanent joint damage had been done. What I eventually learned thru my own research and experience was to eliminate all foods that contribute to inflammation (things like tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, milk, soy, sugar, gluten, etc) and to try to control all stresses, and to make sure I got 10 1/2 to 12 hrs nightly sleep. I also found that magnesium (magnesium glycinate...not magnesium oxide which has laxative effects and is not well absorbed) was strongly needed, as was calcium carbonate, and D3 (2000 mg), but neither could be absorbed or used by the body without each other. The magnesium glycinate needs to be taken in about a 1:1 tablet ratio with the calcium carbonate (about 1200 mg daily calcium) and a multi vitamin as well.. Cold water or cold packs helped me with the pain in my joints, as did a prescribed (or over the counter until you can get this prescribed..I take meloxicam (mobic) as it seems gentler) as the naproxin conflicted with a bleeding ulcer I had..the anti inflammatory was critical.. I believe I had taken tramadol for the joint damage pain, as this is what I take now.. I failed all RA medications (sulfa drugs ( which are daily antibiotics),methotrexate and biologics..except for the one I have been pretty much sustained on now for 4+ years called Plaquinil. It takes a while for Plaquinil to kick in..usually 2 months or so, and I was sustained fairly well on 15 mg prednisone until it kicked in.. I am in 5 mg daily prednisone at this time with Plaquinil to greatly reduce flares..happening just once every 12 to 16 months now. The methotrexiate caused so many side effects including fibromyalga, tremendous flares, constant joint and muscle pain, induced infections (including dental which causes systemic infections compounding much RA pain).. The biologics also induced RA joint pain, and also lowered my immune system like methotrexate does, and did not help to control my RA. Being proactive regarding vitamins and nutrients, controlling stress, very adequate sleep hiurs, and watching out for the high inflammatory foods in my diet seemed to go a long way in managing my RA.
    • Posted

Have you regained your strength back at all? I have switched my diet and basically been eating veggies + skinless boneless chicken with rosemary & turermic powder on them cooked in a bit of olive oil. for lunch & dinner & basically scrambled eggs for breakfast.
    • Posted

Very good.. Yes I have quite well, except for previous joint damage slows me down some..the magnesium, D3, calcium, multi vitamin and fish oil capsules (not the deoderized type), and enough sleep, as well as no caffeine, and other things that cause stress have been extremely helpful in getting my strength where it is.
    • Posted

Thank you for all of the informaton Cheria. I do take fish oil capsules & a multivitamin. Can you tell me what D3 & Magnesium you take? Does it matter?
    • Posted

Nevermind. Silly me, i see you posted it above. Thank you.
    • Posted

Hi Cheria,

Thank you very much for your post. It has been always a mystery for me why MTX is making me feel worse and why it increased my joint pain. Now, it makes sense why i felt worse after I started treatment with MTX. before it I had normal CRP and normal ESR, little pain. Now, I have high CRP, ESR, anemia and severe pain all over my body.

• Posted

Things that help: Putting hands in hot water. Using a hot water bottle on feet. Also exercises from physio for ra which include closing and opening fingers 10 times, touching each finger with thumb and stretching it over to side of hand, twisting wrist back and forward. ( other exercises for different joints) A friend of mine found diet really helped to control the swelling. Mine developed so quickly a year ago that it didn't really work for me. But it is controlled by medication now and I put up with mild side effects as the pain was so bad. Fortunately I don't have the level of side effects that would mean I couldn't tolerate any of the drugs that have been given me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.