Does this sound like SVT?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I have anxiety, and two doctors told me that anxiety can increase your heart rate to high numbers. For two days, my heart quickly went up to 176 and the other 184. I was on my laptop and was anxious before they both started. They were a gradual increase to about 150, then I stood to walk and when I saw 150, I guess it made me for anxious and them that's when it started to increase to about 184 for like a second. Then started dropping once I sat back down and started breathing. Does this sound like SVT or more like sinus tachycardia?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Usually my SVT starts with a thump in my chest and my heart rate will goes instantly to 180-220, it will not go away until I try Valsalva maneuver, like holding your breath and pushing, it does another Thump and goes back to 100 or 90 bpm it doesn't gradually goes down, it's like turning a switch on and off no middle point.

• Posted

Yea that's what two doctors told me. But I'm not convinced panic attacks can send your heart racing to 180.  That's why I am trying to figure weather it's SVT or not. When my heart rate increase it's always quickly but gradually and start to come down if I sit and breathe. Although I was anxious a while before this happens, these attacks seem to come when I think I'm relaxed. I don't know if standing during a panic attack make the heart rate go higher or not but it's only reach 170 + when I was standing or walking not at rest. When sitting or laying the highest I've seen is 156.

• Posted

And the paramedics could never catch it because it peaks for like a second or two, then start to decline as I try to relax. They catch it at 140, 130 and 120. They suggest sinus tachycardia which is normal during panic attacks.
  • Posted

Hi. Sorry you've got this trouble. Dumodal's experience of instant SVT episode starts and stops has also always been mine. My SVT was rarely outside of 190-250 bpm when measured by a medic. It is impossible for any of us here to work out if you have some form of SVT, but you should really discuss this with your GP and insist that you are put on a portable monitor for at least a few days so they can see the real variations over time. 

Once they correctly diagnose your ailment, if I were you I would stop monitoring my heart because it does seem to me that doing that could only increase your anxiety level.

Really hope you get answers and the right treatment soon.

• Posted

I agree, tell your cardiologist to give you an event monitor for a few weeks whatever you have it should catch it.

It's there any other symptoms, like light-headness, shortness of breath, chest discomfort?

I was like you few years back and sometimes I do it today, I was always checking my heart rate, doesn't help I'm extremely sensitive about my heart and I can feel it almost 24 hours, makes me more anxious so the adrenaline kicks in and believe or not anxiety is one of my triggers as my heart rate goes up just one PAC and boom I'm into SVT.

• Posted

I too suffered from anxiety due to my SVT. After having a successful ablation I felt pretty good weeks following. However, my anxiety came back and took over my life. I got on Paxil and haven't had any anxious feelings for months! I highly suggest talking with your dr to see if medication is needed. Hope you get some answers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.