Does this sound like TN? Please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I got elbowed in the eye 1 month ago. I experienced on and off lower jaw/tooth pain for 3 weeks, it never lasted more than 30 minutes. It was a dull throbbing. Last week my right ear area felt numb and congested. Both the ENT and dentist said I have nothing wrong with my ear or teeth.

All the pain and fullness-feelings have disappeared and now I feel normal. But I had googled my symptoms when I had them and I have been having severe anxiety about the possibility of having TN. Does this sound like pre-tn or early TN? Thank you! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Are you having electric shocks or pounding in your ear or under your eye? Any sensitivity to teeth or weather? I have bilateral TN, ATN,TN2 and ON
    • Posted

Hi Cary,

No electrical shocks. I'm scared I have pre-tn, which occurs without the electrical shocks apparently. These thoughts have been taking over my life and giving me severe anxiety attacks. 

• Posted

TN, at least for me, was a burning, searing pain much like a torch being applied to the right side of my face. I was completely rid of it with the MVD operation over 20 years ago. My knowledge of TN suggests that it is not caused by physical injury, but most commonly where a congenital situation where an artery comes in direct contact with the 5th cranial or Trigeminal nerve. There are, of course, other causes but for me, that was the cause.

In my case, the pain was sometimes a dull throbbing as you describe, but it would alternate with the more searing type of pain. It would also orbit the right side of my head, sometimes in the front, sometimes in the rear, sometimes lower in the jaw. At first, it was amenable to Tegritol (carbamazepine) but after some 15 years of suffering up to the time of the operation, it became less and less diminished by drugs, until they became totally ineffective due to the natural habituation process. 

I would suggest that you seek out a neurologist and see if he or she might consider a round of the usual drugs for TN. If they work, that would assist in diagnosis.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi! stin you might want to go to a neurologist to get an mri done so they can see if it is that way they can get u in treatment so it's not going off and on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.