Does this sound like urticaria?

Posted , 4 users are following.


Over a week ago I woke up with a rash on my stomach, chest, back, neck arms and thighs. I went to the walk in centre and they said it was urticaria. It has been 8 days since then and the rash is still there/getting worse. I also feel a thousand pins pricking me all over my body  when why temperatures rises slightly. Someimes at random times.

Does this sound like urticaria, why is the rash still there? and what are the pin/needle pricking sensations? (the rash looks like blemishes and little pimples)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

  • Posted

    Although it could be heat rash as well have you been put on antihistamines? If you haven't you should try cetirizine in the morning and loretidine at night to start with. Also make sure you are not having bra, or clothes rubbing your skin. If this is not working you should ask to see a dermatologist.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hello yes I have been on piritin and hayleve. None have worked. My skin hurts when I wear anything. It constantly rubs. I will try the ones you have mentioned and yes I am also going to ask to see a dermatologist.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi Laura, Fexofenedine is a stronger antihistamine that you have to get a prescription for, it was effective for me. My urticaria was irritated by chafing from the clothes I wear so I started to use Lanacane anti chafing gel on areas usual affected to some success. Also try dabbing salt saturated water on the itchy bumps and blemishes, leave it to dry on. It usually took away most of the itch. Some people get large weals, others bumps and large red areas of the skin, some get both. Urticaria is very different for everybody which is why it's very difficult to find a treatment that fits all. Some people in the US have different drugs than here in the UK.  You definitely need to see a specialist in urticaria, not every dermatologist know how to treat urticaria so do some research. Dr Sabroe, dermatologist at Sheffield Hallamshire Hospital in the UK is one that does is you live in the UK. Good luck.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted


      Thank you for your advice and your information about urticaria. Yes I live in the uk so I will certainly look into seeing a good dermatologist and I will ask my doctor for that medication and I will see about getting the gel.

      Again thank you for the information and advice.

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    One of the main things with urtikaria is it comes and goes rapidly... sounds like yours is not doing that.

    Most of us find we have sposts in one place one day and the next day they have either gone or faded... but we have a load somewhere else.

    The main thing with urtickaria is everyday is different.

    Based on that... yours doesn't sound like it is urtikaria... or at least not typical of my experience and others I have spoken to.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up