Does tinnitus get better?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Tinnitus all too much. Any advise please

Posted: April 02, 2014 19:33 by Karen Slocombe

Hi I'm new to forums so I don't know if I'm doing it right! Today my tinnitus is worse it's ever been. I don't know why nothing changed. I really really am feeling suicidal and saw gp. He gave me pregabalin but I see some people tried it and it made t worse. I'm 42 and last June had terrible ringing for 40 min in my left ear. It was so loud I was almost disorientated. Then it stopped. My dad has terrible t and is blind. He says being blind is a walk in the park compared to t. I'm terrified one day mine will be like his. I realise it's prob not that bad at moment? I don't know how to grade it Anyway after this I went gp last year and they said both ears so badly impacted wax they had never seem so bad. They gave olive oil and I did it three times a day. Kept going back and they kept saying try another month etc etc. In July my ear rang really bad for about three weeks then settled down. Also September it flared up and again after few weeks it eased off December I finally was referred consultant and they suctioned my ears. I feel since then it was better ish I'm seeing consultant end may I have begged to see sooner but they have no app If tinnitus never goes can u tell me I stick my head in a cupboard to check it I know I shouldn't, sometimes I can't hear ANYTHING. Yet like now I can hear it above TV. So is it def tinnitus then? Why has it come back bad today? I am always very very stressed but if it is damaged hairs etc how can stress make it worse? I know stress can make u focus on it more etc but if I stick my head in cupboard and cannot hear a thing then surely no amount of stress is going to make it reappear? A doctor said wax could be on ear drum making sounds reverberate? Consultant said rubbish? I'm clinging to hope that maybe this is case and wax clogged up again? I have put radios in every room 24/7. I have white noise under pillow I cannot go anywhere without noise. It's really taking my life over I really wish I was dead. My dad wished he was dead. It scares me how bad it will get. He is 74 but sits in bus shelters til four am to drown it out. How do people live like this? I can't Is it the menopause? I hear hormonal changes can cause tinnitus? But then if it's damaged hairs how does that work? I have never been exposed loud music etc never wore iPod in life Pls help if u can. I'm starting this retraining soon apparently will they do anymore than I'm already doing? Masking noise etc Sorry to go on I'm just so scared and desp. I just thought if I told u everything someone may help. Oh yes I had an ear infection last June but that was in the left ear. It's the right one that rings. I also get spontaneous t bout three times a week both ears where it rings really really shrill for bout ten sec then goes. I am scared it will end up like that all the time? Is that what really bad t is like?

Report this post as inappropriate

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello I see that ur post was a while ago has yours stoped yet because I got mine 7 days ago driving me crazy nd I'm only 20 iv notice that TV radio and PlayStation activates the sound nd makes it worse being in a social incitement helps a bit to be around friends an listening to there voices just the night is worse web have to try and sleep and a nurse told me I got it don't have enough money to see doctors to expensive if you found stuff that helps please let me no

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your problem with tinnitus. It sounds to me that it probably spur from high volume noices from video games and music? Or do you think there may be another cause? In my case it started out of the blue and it has been with me for close to two month now, however in my case even when both ENTs I consulted said my ears were fine I knew they were not. I felt they were clogged so I use Afrin and it opens my ears, I can fill them pop and the tinitus and fullness stops at least for a while. Also I put my head lower than my feet ...I lay on the bed and my head I bring to the floor and that makes my ears pop..that is my relif. In your case you are young it most likely will disappear in a few days...but no more loud noices for you cause this is a real warning...youll be fine in a few weeks ...go and enjoy your life and dont pay so much attention to it and youll see it gone. Take care
    • Posted

Thanks it makes me feel a lot better a gathered up some money for docter going to see him 2moro I'm not share weather it was playstation or TV I was playing then decided to watch TV nd wen I decided to try sleep I only noticed the noice and ya you right it's a huge warning for me I pray it does go away wen a nurse looked at my ears at a pharmacy I had no wax or anything but good luck to you as well and hope for your sake it goes as well cause its a horrible thing to have
  • Posted

Hi

Karen I have seen ENT and Neurologist and both say nothing is wrong with my ears etc

in other words put up with it. 

Miy e tinitus is age related but  as you are young ask your gp to refer you o an ENT consultant ...best wishes

• Posted

Karen-your sad relating of your tinnitus problems reminded me of mine. I do hope you have had help,as I did. Doctors did not seem particularly interested in my problem until one day my partner came home to find me having a panic attack and sobbing with this awful feeling of being unable to escape from the terrible noises in my head. A gp from the local practice admitted to hospital where I stayed for 4 days-MRI scan was clear,diazepan to calm me down as stress really does worsen it,and a great deal of sympathy from staff helped. I then attended a clinic who explained all they knew about T and they passed me on to a Clinical Psychologist for CBT. It helped. But so did the change of anti-convulsant prescribed for epilepsy! My present drug masks the tinnitus sound to a degree where most of the time it does not interfere too much with everyday life. Until 2 weeks ago when I was prescribed strong eye drops and within 5 days my ear was roaring and pulsing to a degree where it made it difficult to hear TV, and was even louder than the surf on shingle sound on a local beach.(surf sounds help.) My problem is that doctors will never believe that drugs affect tinnitus. They have their own particular field of medicine and do not accept that you have other problems. But back to helping you-do see if you can talk to a psychologist trained in tinnitus treatment. My local hospital has this service,but it was not easy to access at the time. If you are still wanting help-ask. Because it cannot be seen so many people-docs included-think we are making it up.
  • Posted

Hello... Not sure if this helps anything, or anyone, but if you've been tested, and have no other health problems that tinnitus might be a symptom of, then I find ignoring it to be the best way of dealing with it, personally... That said, I've never had tinnitus that was so loud I couldn't hear the TV over it... Also, to be honest, I've never been tested to see if mine is caused by some underlying issue... That said though, I've had mine since about grade four... It usually sounds like the high pitched whine of an old black and white TV, but at times I've also noticed it to sound like a dial-up modem connecting to something, but for several hours straight... I think I find it tolerable partly because it's never deafening, but also because it has always been there, it didn't just show up one day... It hasn't really gotten louder or more frequent though, it has always come and gone for me... Like I said, I don't know if that offers any help or hope to anyone, just kind of ignore it and it won't hurt you, maybe... Again, I may find that easier than someone who has only had to deal with it recently, but that's what I do, and most of the time I don't notice it, like someone earlier mentioned about the trains next door...

• Posted

My mother had it in menopause as do I. I've had it about 3 yrs off and on around age 52. At first it was rarer. The good news is my mom's went away. Perhaps getting through a hormonal shift is the answer. She is in her 80s now and says she gets something similar occasionally but not like it was. So I'm counting on that. The only time mine will go away it seems is sometimes after sleep. But not every sleep takes it away. Once it went away over the course of the day and I have no clue why except that I wasn't paying attention to it. 

I've noticed triggers such as vigorous exercise, lawn mowing, etc. I've noticed certain beverages and sweets seem to trigger it. That made me think maybe it was the vagus nerve that travels stomach to ear. Something scientists should look into. 

The other night I panicked at 4 am so I got up and tried listening to music but it didn't help much. The best thing for me was blowing the hair dryer at my ear. I only get it on one side. That made me think about adding a heating pad for sleeping. I did fall asleep eventually with the heat on probably because it was something new to try more than that it worked. Relaxing and not thinking about it is the best solution. Today I got busy cutting trees outside where there is traffic and I hardly noticed it. 

Like others, I'm trying everything I read about.

• Posted

Can I ask if anyone in this forum with T that also has high blood pressure?
    • Posted

Hi Michael, mine is slightly raised from time to time. I think if your blood pressure is high, it can cause sounds in your head.

Best regards sharr

• Posted

Thanks Sharr.  When I initially got the ringing in my ear, one of the medication I was given was prednizone.  As you know the drug does have some positivebiggrin side effects for joints and energy level.  I also have a knee injury that I am trying to treat and one of the exercises is cycling.  So I tried take advantage of the situation and cycled for a few days.  I noticed the ringing in the ears was subsiding and my blood pressure was low.  My GP was confident that the ringing will eventually go away in about 4-6 weeks.  Unfortunately at that time I was getting another virus/cold attack, the ringing started coming back soon after.  My blood pressure has been up since then due to lack of exercise.  I am going to try experimenting the correlation between the ringing in the ears and the blood pressure levels over the next 3 months to see how the body responds.  I plan on bringing the blood pressure down.  My GP believes that the ringing will go away in around 4-6 weeks.  The second virus/cold that I got is finally diminishing, so I will see what happens with the ringing.  Will keep you posted

• Posted

I'm curious if it ever stopped or has gotten better I've had it almost a year now and just learning to cope with it however some months it's just horrible high pitched and unbearable like this month with a screeching sound!!! I'm thinking about getting a hearing aid or a support group but just haven't gone. Please let me know how your doing I felt like u when I 1st got it but just trying to cope😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.