Does ulcerative colitis respond to antibiotics?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum here, and new to having any bowel / gastro related issues. As of the last week I started experiencing abdominal symptoms, including urgent and frequent blood diarrhea and fairly severe abdominal cramping. Initially I went to the doctor who believed it was a bad gastro virus and after a visit to a&e I was left with the same answer. Unsatisfied, I got a second opinion from another GP who said my blood tests showed increased inflammatory markers and put me on a dose of antibiotics for bacterial gastroenteritis. I responded immediately very well to the antibiotics, and have been feeling better each day since. However, I also sent in a stool sample which came back (twice for two different samples) as clear of any bacteria, leaving me confused.

I was wondering if anyone else had ever been in another position and what the outcome was? I'm just confused as to why I'd be responding clinically well to antibiotics if it isn't an infection.

I'm a very anxious person and generally think the worse case scenario, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Have you had a colonoscopy? I have had UC for almost 30 years and have never been given antibiotics for a one time treatment. They need to see exactly going on. If you have never had one, the prep is the hard part. You are asleep for the procedure nd feel nothing. Good luck to you! Hope you will be feeling better soon. It is a process...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.