Does Varicocele affect both testicles?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello. This week I've been diagnosed with varicocele on my left testicle. After I did te ultrasound on my testicles the doctor told that I have also 2 veins on my right testicle but he said I shouldn't worry. The problem is that I have pain also on both my testicles sometimes and also on the both sides of my groin area. Will the surgery on my left testicle fix the problems on my right side too?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yeah you can have a varicocele on both sides like I did. Varicoceles tend to be worse on the left than the right due to the way the veins drain on each side. To answer your other question yes you can have them treated at the same time but you would need to request this as it would require a cut on either side. I myself had my varicocele embolized which was a great success. I also only needed one incision point. Good luck.
  • Posted

You might find just doing the left fixes the problem. I'm told you can get 'sympathetic' pain in many areas of your body. In other words you might be experiencing pain on the right purely by the left sided pain, so yes fixing the left could cure the right at the same time.

Depending on your surgery type and consultants approach you could always try to force the issue for both to be done. I think I'm right in saying bilateral embolization is not a lot more of a job than just one side? As in purely time with no added complications. Keyhole is another incision with repositioning of the central camera, so a bit more moving around inside you.

I had a bilateral varicoceletomy keyhole surgery as opposed to an embolization and was told generally they don't like to perform bilateral procedures. Normally one side is treated and they see what happens from there.

I'm lucky my consultant is very helpful and understanding so did both of mine at the same time, so you have nothing to lose in asking, but get them to detail any reason why they would reject your request. 

Am I right you're an NHS patient? If so bear in mind it might be at least another year before an op on the other side so if your job is difficult to accommodate this put that into your case for doing both sides. If it affects doing your job that's also a point to make. If you feel the pain is as bad both sides, tell them this as well. 

Whatever happens best of luck.

• Posted

I asked my doctor this exact same question and he didnt really know the answer and neither did i, but ill tell u that i was worried about the same thing because i get pain on my left side and my right, and i only had a varicocele on my left so i really didnt know why both sides would hurt, anyways they went ahead with the surgery and 3/4months later after im still getting the same pain, everyones diferent, it might work for you, but it sure didnt for me
  • Posted

I dont think they’ll do both at the same time. The reason being if something were to go wrong - worst case scenario you could loose the testicle. If they only do one side - you’ll still have the other and still be fertile.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.