Does Vestibular therapy help BPPV?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was told I have menieres but then was told by physical therapist that I have severe horizontal BPPV.

He said his maneuver should cure me and I'll admit I feel a minute bit better but not enough to consider myself over it. I still feel sick when I move around too much and feel off balance.

So does vestibular therapy help BPPV?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If the Eply has been done and the crystals are where they should be then you can do VRT and it does help
    • Posted

Is it normal to still be dizzy even after the maneuver? He said mine was severe and that I had to see him 4 times. He said it usually only takes 3.

Im just not familiar with BPPV.

• Posted

the epley maneuver is said to help.

meclizine (travel sickness pills) can help.

• Posted

I used to try meclizine but it never worked. Maybe it'll work now. Thanks!

• Posted

It depends on the maneuver.  If the physical therapist is experienced with vestibular disorders, then he or she will know the specific movements needed for horizontal canal BPPV.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

The physical therapist said I have horizontal BPPV because when he lays me down and turns my head, I have a nystagmus. I can also feel my eyes moving involuntarily when he does this. He said I have 9 beats per 22 seconds.

However, the neurotologist that diagnosed me with atypical Menieres that I saw earlier this year told me that I did not have a nystagmus.

Is it possible to have a nystagmus with Ménière's disease even when you're not having a Menieres attack? Or was I misdiagnosed with Menieres?

I'm not sure which doctor to believe or which road to take in forms of therapy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.