Does you pain/discomfort stay with you all the time?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I went to the doc 2 weeks ago and was told i had ibs. I have since been given colpermin and mebervine to take 3 times a day. I just wondered if most of you find you have symptoms of ibs all the time or if you just have flare ups? I first had this in august but then had nothin until oct now i feel that most days i feel uncomfortable or i am running to toilet. I am still tryin to figure out f there are certain foods causin t

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I've had symptoms - abdominal pains, nausea, constipation - without relief for past three months. Tried Colpermin but little help, Dr prescribed me Fybogel which seems to help, but didn't say whether I should take Colpermin at same time so I've stopped that.
    • Posted

If you take them at the same time fybogel might just flush colpermin straight through you, causing more pain as it speeds through your system. Im not sure though its Just a thought. I know that I couldnt take Fybolgel with Mebeverine for that reason. x 
  • Posted

Hi there Hun

Yes certain foods like high dairy products can really irate some people also tomatoes and gravy can cause problems so keep a food diary this helped me alot, the only thing i will take when my ibs is bad is spasmo its great at settling the spasms and plus i eat lots of fish which is real good with lots of salad and rice brown rice if you dont like brown rice add vef to it with garlic as lots of garlic is good for you and drink plenty of water if u dont like plain water try the no suguar flavoured water avoid any caffeea after 8mp and also avoid real fatty foods and that hope this is helpful love always

Cherl

• Posted

You will have attacks. You won't have pain all the time. You got to figure out what triggers the attacks. For me I can't have pizza twice a week or anything spicey.
  • Posted

Dear Diane,

I was given the same two medicines as you but they did not work for me. I have now been prescribed Buscopan which does seem to work. My IBS pain comes on then off in the same day but I am not sure what actually causes it. Sometimes low blood sugar seems to affect it, I have type 2 diabetes.

Some foods will give you problems, I would suggest you try to avoid wheat, milk, cheese, citrus fruits and coffee as these give me real pain down the left side to my groin.

Hope this is of some help to you

bob

• Posted

Interesting as buscopan is a weaker form of mebeverine.... Glad its working for you though... smile

And sorry this comment was pretty pointless haha I just thought it was quite interesting as ive tried both.

• Posted

Hi Diane, 

Ive had mebeverine for about three years now and it really does help with muscle spasms. Ive not even heard of colpermin so I cant help there. Mebeverine with me has started to loose its effectivness so ive been trying this treatment called Silicol Gel. Been ranting about this a lot on this forum recently haha. But for someone like me, whose been suffering constantly for 5 years and im only 21, thinks its amazing to have some quality of life back. Ive only been taking it for two weeks so I dont want to jump the gun and say its a cure. Youre meant to take it for 4 weeks and then stop and symptoms are meant to have gone, We will See... but ive definatly seem improvement. Regular and formed bowel movements, being able to small meals and regularly too. There has been less pain but I still have occasionally had to take my perscription meds but rarely.

As for the food concerns, start writing a food diary - what you eat, how much, what time and how you felt afterwards to a few hours afterwards, what exercise have you done, are you stressed etc, when youre on your period etc. It sounds taxing but worth while. try and do it for a month of so (basically through a cycle) so you can see if theres a pattern. 

Good luck and if you need anymore advice especially food wise (as ive literally tired everything) just message me. smile

Hope youre not in pain too much longer. x 

• Posted

Hi Cub, I have chroni IBS along with prolapsed bowel andpolys on my colon, I would like to ask my GP for the silicIn gel yyou mmention, as prelated to try aanything tto ggive mme rrelief, I can aalso cinform that ffunereal have a laxative effect aand aas I open my bowels 16 to 22 times a day on average, not wise!!  Could you tell me which category of drug this gel comes under possibly as the most information I get the better, thanks.i
    • Posted

Sorry, mmy pphone is pplaying uup ssomething dreadfudreadful, I meant to say fibergels have a laxative effect!!i

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.