Does zopiclone withdrawal improve after year?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 9 months into horrendous zopiclone withdrawal. Severe anxiety and intrusive thoughts. Been told by helpline been contacting won'T improve until after a year. is anyone year off and did it improve? t rying an SSRI to help with symptoms as no let up at all. everyone says this nasty drug they are so right!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I believe the medical profession has a long way to go on zoplicone and it should be re- labeled just as a benzo . The withdrawal from dependency is terrible and pretty much identical . There may be some medical nuances that are slightly different but hardly any I find. I even had a drug advisor who told me I could just cut down and stop zoplicone as its not addictive !!! I laughed in his face to be honest . I have a more informed drug advisor ( in addition to my gp ) now who takes the view that zoplicone can put you back at square 1 in withdrawal.

• Posted

yes was forced to stop it when my Gp retired so decision to take a drug or not is not always up to the patient. Have read Ashton manual and recommends switching to diazapam when trying to come off zops which I wasnt allowed to do. Intrusive thoughts are a very common symptom in withdrawal, not self harm, just thinking might have pushed someone in the street. gp well aware was told to try park run, meditation so no help there. It is purely symptom of withdrawaL ringing 111 or seeing gp won't make any difference they do apparently eventually ease once you get through withdrawal. no help from the NHS apart from CBT which I tried and was useless. As I say only started when had to abruptly stop meds and many others experience them. But you are very mistaken saying decision to stop drugs rests with me not the case t all!!!

• Posted

Janey, brief history, been on zops on/off for 12 years, when husband nearly died 3 years ago started taking 1/4 tablet every night due to stress with him. When heard GP retiring tried cutting them down but struggled. After he left & saw new GP said as i was taking so little had to stop as was just placebo effect refused give me any diazapam to help with withdrawal. Had few sessions with psychotherapist thinks could be bit PTSD as well as intrusive thoughts occur with that.. Not really OCD as it's caused by chemical damage from drugs not behavioural, so CBT is useless. It's anxiety that fuels it, but as withdrawal takes so long to improve just wondered how long before others felt better. Lot people on long terms meds seem to be having them reviewed and cut back or stopped, so patient choice often doesn't occur anymore!

• Posted

I think alot of Gps just go by the official guidance, however Ive found zoplicone withdrawal to be on a par with diazepam except a bit more intense and you can vomit as well in withdrawal . The medics claim it isnt as dangerous in withdrawal bit my experience is that its equally horrendous and to quit cold turkey is absolutely terrible! Even a taper is terrible the only thing that can help is knowing one day it will start to improve and things will go from there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.