Doesn't seem to be doing anything apart from making me feel ill?

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have been using orlistat due to an antidepressant making me gain weight even whilst trying to lose it. Apart from making me feel ill and obviously toilet habits being horrible nothing seems to be happening. My friend suggested I may have some water retention but is it safe to take water retention tablets at the same time? Anybody had similar issues?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Are you sticking to no more than 15 fat per meal? (No more than 5g fat in 100 grams food?)
    • Posted

No my doctor just advised me to eat 3 meals no snacking. To be fair I am trying to eat healthy aswell 
    • Posted

3 meals a day, you can snack of things like fruits and nuts, try to stick to around 1400-1500 calories a day but you have to have no more than 15 grams of fat per meal. A lot of us use the my fitness pal app on our phones as it calculates everything. Avoid butters and hard cheeses as these are very high in fat. Again some meat such as beef and lamb can be high in fat aswell.
  • Posted

Hi Natalie, I think if you are having nasty toilet moments you are eating too much fat. I don't think your doctor gave you enough advise on what and what not to do on these tablets so have a read through these forums as there is so much information flying around. But the basic rule is to have a very low fat diet - no more than 15g of fat per meal, 3 times a day = 45g of fat per day in total. Then within that 15g of fat per meal, you must make sure that no one thing is more than 5g of fat per 100g, e.g if you fancy a tin of soup, look on the reverse at the dietry details and see how many g of fat the tin has per 100g. If it has 1.8 g of fat per 100 g and the whole tin is 400g, and you want to eat the whole tin, you will multiply 1.8 x 4 = 7.2g in total. So you could eat the whole tin and then have maybe a wholemeal pitta bread (which has 1.6g in total) and some salad - therefore your total g of fat for that meal is 7.2 + 1.6 = 8.8. Only snack on fresh fruit, fat free cup-a-soup, fat free yogurt (watch how many of these you eat as they are roughly 99 calories per pot so it can add up), rice cakes etc - basically snack on zero fat options only - and try to stick to max 1400 calories per day - although this will have to reduce as you lose weight. I started on 1400 per day but am down to 1250 per day as I have lost 20lbs now. If you follow these rules then you should not have any horrible toilet moments. I hope this helps. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hiya, I hope you don't mind me commenting on your reply.......  I don't think some doctors give out any advice when they hand out these tablets - mine certainly didn't - its only by coming on this site that I found out the rule about 15g per meal, no more than 5g per 100g.  I've been on Orlistat for 2 weeks now and have lost 5.5lbssmile

• Posted

Hi Lorraine, I think you are absolutely right, there does seem to be a distinct lack of advice with these tablets. I didn't get much either, only a fact sheet that consisted of about zero information!!!! Like a lot of others I have had to figure it all out as I go along and have relied on the lovely people on these forums to help me out. Well done on your weight loss - excellent start - please give advice on how you are achieving this as I have lost 20lbs now and half way through my 3rd month but seriously running out of inspiration with regards to meals. Bye for now.
    • Posted

WOW well done you I bet you are so chuffed!!

I don't know if you get the same effect as me, but I have found that the tablets act like an appetite suppressant so I have been able to get along with less food than normal.

I usually have a cinnamon and raisin bagel for breakfast, a sandwich with lettuce, tomato and either a slice of ham or the diet coronation chicken that Aldi does, then for dinner I have what the family are having. I still have a cooked breakfast on a Sunday but everything's grilled and poached and I still have my Sunday dinner but in moderation.

What sort of meals have you been having??

Lorraine x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.