Doesn't work.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been on Mirtazapine for coming up to two months now, and I can honestly say it has had no effect on me at all. At the start, yes but now my sleep is messed up again, I can hardly eat because I feel sick and I am still just as miserable and nervous as I was before.

I started on 15mg for about 9 days, told my doctor and consultant that I didn't think it was working. \"We will try upping you to 30mg then and see how it goes\" :@

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Rachel

Although it is easier said than done things should improve if you just hang in there for another month or so. If you are really sure that mirt is not working for you perhaps it is time you suggested to your consultant that another drug is tried instead.

I hope things get better for you soon.

• Posted

would just like to kno if any one has information on the effects of taking mirtazapine if you suffer from epilepsy? i was pres. them for almost 2 years (usually zispin 45mg) and suffer from epilepsy and have recently found out that i shouldnt have been taking them, which is no suprise really due to the fact its taken me almost a year to get my life and my memory back. any info on this subject would be appreciated cheers
  • Posted

in answer to Rachel I would have recommended staying on 15mgs for longer as I did the same as you; spent a couple of months on 15mgs then upped it to 30 and ended up more anxious and quite hyper. I did some research and learnt that Mirtazapine is more sedative in lower doses. when I came back down to 15 and stayed on this dose for a few months my anxiety all but dissapeared and I found I could actually get a good nights sleep. I am currently on a very low amount of methadone and am quite positive about coming off it this time now I am on Mirtazapine. So maybe you might be better going back down to 15mg for a couple or few months and sticking it out.
  • Posted

Since then I have went back and my doctor has decided to put me up to 45mg for 3 weeks so we can see if Mirtazapine is definately not working for me, if that doesn't work he told me about chaning to fluxotene (don't know if that is spelt right). Told my boyfriend that and he was very upset. Is fluxotene that bad?
  • Posted

[quote:06defeb60e=\"Rachel-4732985\"]Since then I have went back and my doctor has decided to put me up to 45mg for 3 weeks so we can see if Mirtazapine is definately not working for me, if that doesn't work he told me about chaning to fluxotene (don't know if that is spelt right). Told my boyfriend that and he was very upset. Is fluxotene that bad?[/quote:06defeb60e]

Hi Rachel.

Fluoxetine is marketed under the trade name Prozac which is generally the anti-depressant that people have heard of. It seems to have more of a stigma attached to it as it is the one that people can generally name.

As a treatment it is no worse than any others and a great many people find it to be very effective in stabalising their mood.

You really have nothing to worry about with it. Give it a go, and see how you get on with it if it has become clear that this one is not working for you. Different medications work for different people.

Good luck with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.