Doestrogen anyone recently gained weight in your mid-section...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Like a lot. I'm not pregnant either. Had my blood checked and now have high LDL and triglyceride levels.

What does someone take to control this? I do exercise but nothing seems to curb this area. However, I know fried foods especially French fries, breads and pastas are my downfall. I do not like fish of any kind, which is unfortunate, cause I know fish has a lot of omega and fatty acids that help lower cholesterol . However, I heard taking Omega 3 or some kind of fish oil supplement helps too. Is this true? Do any of you ladies take these to help lower the bad cholesterol? I have to blame this weight gain in my stomach area, and cholesterol issues on the peri. Cause I never had bad cholesterol before.

Anyway, if the fish oil supplements work I'll start taking those along with my B12 and D right away. I don't want to be on chloresterol meds. That's for sure.

Didi

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Me too. I've been blaming my high cholesterol on the high iron content of foods I eat to try to raise my iron levels, eggs, liver etc.. Not sure if I'm correct on this or coincidence?
  • Posted

Cholesterol isn't the bogieman it is made out to be. Your body wouldn't make something that would harm you, (A majority of your brain is cholesterol). It is produced as a reponse to inflamation, possibly too much calcium in the wrong places - your arteries, not your bones.

You can get omega 3 from flax seeds. They also help with menopausal problems and have both soluble and insoluble fibre - they are also quite yummy with porridge and cinnamon.

Vit D is actually a hormone that many of us are deficient in (my doctor's words). It helps make calcium available to the body. But without Vit K2 it can deposit it in your arteries. I think that's where the cholesterol comes in.

Since last Christmas (well New Year - I did rather pig-out at Christmaslol) I have cut out sugar, stopped eating highly processed food and eat less bread/pasta. I eat more veg and seeds and take Vit D, Vit K2 and magnesium. I feel much better and have lost weight without starving.

• Posted

I can't eat things with seeds in them because I have divercululosis so I tend not to eat stuff with seeds or nuts in it. Most nuts I don't like anyway. Not a big seed fan either. I don't know much about vitamin k, but assuredly I'll probably already have blocked arteries starting. I have a lot of spider veins and my feet swell sometimes when I wear flat shoes, so pretty sure I hsve circulation issues too. My Mom had twone blocked arteries. Bad hearts run in our family too.

I guess I just need to eat less fried foods, breads and pastas and more fruit and vegetables. I was hoping by taking the Omega fish oil it would help with that stuff. Then I wouldn't have to eat fish either.

• Posted

Cut down or eliminate sugars.  You can still have the foods you love, but try to cut the bad stuff down to once or twice weekly.  For circulation. Gentle stretching, using all the muscles and perhaps with a 5lb weights. Can help.  I  do know that flax seeds need to be ground up(like in a coffee grinder) and then added to food.  Much easier on your digestive system, too.  Best wishes.  Changing one's diet can be difficult but once you do, you will feel a huge difference.  And, you won't have have to worry about your weight, which is a giant bonus.  Use 1 day a week to eat the bad stuff and your body will be able to process it without any weight issues. 😎
    • Posted

You can get linseed/flax oil as a supplement. I eat the seeds because, how can I put it, er, - they help keep you regular!

If you have diverticulitis/osis then seeds might not be a good idea. But I think if you do what you say in the last paragraph, you may well go a long way to fixing your gut - which will probably lead to all sorts of improvements! Happy Days!cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.