Dog bite on calf

Posted , 4 users are following.

My dog bit me accidentally yesterday on the calf - it did break the skin but I can't see any holes in my leggings so I'm not sure that there was any tooth to skin contact. I ran it under warm water and encouraged it to bleed a little, and washed it with antibacterial soap. Would it be advisable to ask my gp about a tetanus shot just in case?

There is a large swollen bruise and some blood blisters. With it being on the calf is there any risk of a blood clot?

Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

• A tetanus vaccine is good for ten years plus.

Have you ever been vaccinated? If you have not been immunize please call your Doctor's office.

• Apply antibiotic ointment and keep the wound cover.

• For pain management, try to keep your leg elevated and take Tylenol or Ibuprofen.

• Any amimal bite (Dog can easily get infected.

Call your Doctor: You can have a Doctors visit online/Video.

Take care

Ana

• Posted

Hi Mareland, The problem with being bit by a dog, is if it broke the skin(and it did) is IF the dog may have not had rabies shots, if you live anywhere but a city, there is a chance a stray dog can have rabies from a wild animal(if you know whose dog it is or where it was when you got bit, maybe you can find out if it had vaccines) I would at least call my DR and ask if any shots are required....to see, yes, you may need a tetanus shot as well...Volleyball gave good advice...also watch to see if it turns red, warm, starts oozing, or if you run a fever, call your Dr but don't be too worried Good Luck 🍀☮

• Posted

The post specifically states "my" dog. Not a random potential for rabies

• Posted

Sooo Sorry Mareland I didn't see that, reading too fast and my eyes are messed up sometimes...so no worries about rabies if your dog is vaccinated...keep it clean and watch for signs of infection...blood clot shouldn't be an issue...watch for firm lumps, redness, warmth, pus & etc...using antibiotic ointment is a great idea..Hopefully its better by now...I feel bad for you both, was your pup scared/startled at the time? must have been a shock getting bit by your own baby....happened to me before, on the hand, my girl peed once she realized it was me she bit...hard to be mad..Good Luck🍀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.