dog dying

Posted , 5 users are following.

My dog is dying and I'm in panic mode. She's not in pain or suffering yet but I'm obsessing over what's to come and how I'm going to handle it! I'm a mess!!!! Any ideas?

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lizza......I am so sorry for what you're going through,being a dog owner myself and having gone the loss of my first dog some years ago.It's pretty impossible not to be sad....Try to enjoy her whilst she is still with you,try not to panic as she'll pick up on it.If you don't mind me asking,how old is she and what is she dying from?Remember that dogs are in the moment,which is surely part of their magic....She is probably at the moment more concerned about you...Try to be calm,don't project ahead as she is still alive and as you say,not suffering as yet.All I can say is that I so empathise with you as I am certain you adore her....But try being in the now,for her,as her passing will be more peaceful.Thinking of you,be brave x x x
  • Posted

I have gone through this 4 times since the 1970s it gets no easier , it's worse I think than loosing a human.

The only thing I did was think you have done all you could to give him/ her a lovely life and remember they do not live as long as us, get yourself another dog as soon as you lose this one and give another dog a good home, I know it's terrible so have a good cry when it happens and good luck.

• Posted

I am so sorry.  I have lost many pets over the years and I know how difficult it is.  They are a member of our family and the grief on losing a pet is not easdy to handle. 

I am glad your dog is not in pain or suffering.  Is she old?  All I can say, from experience, is that you have to accept that it was her time, and that she is going peacefully.  You will of course grieve and cry as that is natural.  Yes I know how you are feeling right now, and I don't have any ideas, except to make her last days as loving as possible so you know you have done all you can to ease her passing. 

Oh my thoughts are with you, and I understand fully how you are feeling Lizza.  You love your dear dog a lot, and you have given her a good home over the years.  Take comfort in that.  Sadly our pets die before us, but when they are with us they give us such joy.  Keep that in mind.  I have lost 3 dogs, and quiute a few cats over the 40 years I have had pets, but I cannot be without them as they give such joy. 

Please comfort yourself with the knowlege that she has had all the love in the world from you.

God Bless.

• Posted

oh Lizza, how very sad.  Losing a pet is total heartache.  I lost my cat last year in very tragic circumstances.  It was heart breaking.  But we do somehow get through it.  Cry a lot, giggle at fun memories of her, cry a bit more and although it'll hurt like hell for a while, you will get through it.  You won't ever forget her but the sharp pain of grief will go away.  I rescued my cat from a previous life not worth living and although she was only with me a few years, I take heart I gave her a good life during that time.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.