Dog owners?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. For those of you who own a dog and live alone, how have you managed to follow best practices about not bending down (attaching a leash and feeding), avoiding trauma (jumping on the bed and doggy kisses), and generally avoiding dirt and dog hair that might lead to infection.

My plan was to board my dog at a very nice home like environment but after a few days she climbed or jumped the fence and ran away. Fortunately she was spotted by a driver walking on a busy road. The driver picked her up and called me (phone number on her collar). I am SO relieved but concerned about the safety of boarding as a solution.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

I was never warned about bending down. Dog kisses could be an issue. Probably best to wear your eye shield or glasses when dog kisses are possible during the first week.

• Edited

I haven't done it yet, but am facing cataract surgery in the not too distant future, am in your situation, and have 2 dogs. Mine are large and not allowed on furniture or to lick my face, so I don't have those concerns. I am blessed with a large, secure yard so leash fastening isn't a concern. They can do without leash walks for a while.

The one of your concerns I'd most share is putting down and picking up food and water dishes. I'll put asking about this restriction on my list of questions for the surgeon I'm seeing at the end of this month. Worst case I'd have to come up with some kind of device to help me lower and pick up without bending much. I have too many orthopedic issues to squat straight down. 😃 Now that I think about it, it would make even dressing difficult, things like getting socks and shoes on.

As to dog hairs and things like that in general, I'm thinking about some kind of protective goggles. Someone mentioned getting those in the face washing discussion. My understanding is it's only the first week after surgery that's a big concern. Where I live, dirt blowing on the wind is more of a worry, so having something protective in case there are windy days at the wrong time would be a good precaution anyway.

It doesn't sound like the boarding facility you tried is safe for your dog. I'm glad for you that you recovered her without harm. You need a facility with either more securely enclosed runs or a way to keep your dog home. Maybe a pet sitter could come and feed and walk her? You'd be right there to oversee. Think about getting her used to sleeping on a dog bed in an ex-pen or something like that so she tolerates it well enough that you both could stand it for the necessary time. A crate by the bed if she's crate trained? I had to change my older dog's sleeping arrangements because the dogs always have slept in my second floor bedroom, but she can no longer do stairs. Now she sleeps downstairs.

Good luck working it out satisfactorily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.