Doing well.....I think :-s

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys,

Just a quick update and in need of some advice if anyone's got any.

So been almost 3 weeks now on the venlafaxine and the propranolol and i can honestly say they are working for me like i treat.

I've not had a full blown panic attack in just over a week now and am feeling better in myself. I couldn't have gotten through it without all of your support though, even when i was posting on here more times than i should have, you all stuck with me and provided me with the help, advice and support i needed.

Now I've been through hell and back and am glad I'm finally on that road to recovery, just have to start my CBT on the 26th and hopefully things will just get better from there.

Now the advice.....yes the propranolol is taking away almost all of the physical symptoms of the panic attacks, there starting to have less of an effect as before and I'm starting to get small heart palpitations and a little of an adrenalin rush at times but my doctor just upped my dose from 40mg x3 daily to the slow release 80mg up to twice daily and my venlafaxine gets upped in 2 weeks which I'm looking forward to getting even better results from.

The problem is I still cant get myself to block out the reoccurring thought on a night that causes my panic attacks, no matter how much i try to block it out, it fights its way through, this is bringing back, slowly, the insomnia i was suffering from before, this is starting to bring on some of the depression from lack of sleep and the fear of going to bed is creeping back meaning the anxiety is too.

My doctor told me today that propranolol does usually have less of an effect of the system the longer you've been taking it (yes apparently now 3 weeks is long) and that's why he's upped my dosage.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice around getting a better nights sleep so these other issues don't slowly start taking over again.

I'd hate to take 3 steps forward and 1 back, if you know what i mean.

Any advice would be most helpful and appreciated.

Danielle x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danielle,

CBT work has a good chance to help you understand how to break the cycle of negative thinking. Now you are feeling a bit better there will a bit of brain space available I think. You could make a start on this before the sessions start if you are up to it. My anxiety attacks turned me inside out, but with meds and CBT I am down to one in a few weeks and quite mild. I am very very relieved . Some thoughts :

Be kind to yourself ( the Compassionate Mind by Paul Gilbert). I had no idea.

Become aware of your thoughts and create alternatives to the repeating thought. I used to have a little script. Not to be funny, but it's rather like saying the Lords Prayer as a child or singing a hymn. Who'd have thought that Sunday school would be useful?

The actual recurring negative thought, how real is it, will it in fact ever happen, will it be as bad as you think, what else could happen to reduce it or make it never happen. Write it down and all the positives around it that you can think of. Read it, say it, think it (only the positives).

These are mind games to help us break the cycle of negative thoughts that co exist with the anxiety and low mood. For me I am not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg, but moving my thoughts to a better place has certainly helped.

Hang in there. David.

• Posted

Do you have any other symptoms like -

Constipation / fatigue / do not feel fresh when you wake up in morning ?

Do you get sick (cough, cold, fever) frequently than others ?

Do you feel tingling sensation in your fingers, palms or any other part of limbs ? Or do you have weakness in your limbs ?

Do you feel numb / depressed ?

• Posted

David, thank you for the reply, unfortunately yes my reoccurring thought will happen, do doubt. So i kind of worry about it ALL THE TIME. I try to distract myself, it doesn't work after a while.

And patient97 yes i do feel like crap when i wake up in the morning and feel fatigue all day. I feel depressed on and off during the day, more on than off. I don't get anything else. Why do you ask?

Danielle x

• Posted

Ok so I've just been reading through what CBT is and i really don't think its going to work for me because i know my fear is going to happen whether i want it too or not and its really starting to get on top of me.

I'm scared of dying so i cant see a positive way of thinking about it, I'm sorry i just can't. This is why i don't think going to CBT is going to help, all these questions like 'do you think this fear is rational?' and 'is this fear going to actually happen?'.......well YES IT IS, so wtf do i do now?

sorry for the rant but just reading through what CBT is has made me feel quite hopeless in the matter. Sorry.

Danielle

• Posted

Give c.b.t a chance it is amazing what you do pick up....there may be weeks when you come away and think w.t.f was that all about and some weeks it all falls into place...igo bk to work nxt week i hope i can still fit c.bt around it....is it 1to 1 or group work c.b.t that they want you to attend? X
  • Posted

I'm not sure to be honest, i just know i get to take someone with me the first time so probably group??
  • Posted

Groups are good someone might bring up your fears with out you even menitioning it....my fear is not of dying but by being a burden to my family with illness...i think i'm overcoming it now....it's still a posibility unlike your fear which at some point is going to happen....difficult 1 that sorry i couldn't be of more help take care x
  • Posted

Thanks for the help you were able to provide anyway, and hopefully CBT is going to help me live my life fully, even if it only reduces my problem its better than nothing.

Thanks again

Danielle x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.