Domperidone/reflux side effects

Posted , 6 users are following.

Very embarrassing side effect of faecal incontinence when I excercise. Want to cut down on Domperidone because it can apparently cause this but my reflux is bad so need Domperidone. Lived with IBS for over 30 years.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Ask your doctor to change your medication if you are reacting to it.
    • Posted

I take gaviscon and milk for my reflux.  Maybe try that instead or see your doctor again.

• Posted

Hi can you just clarify what is Domperidone and what you take it for. Also what type of reflux are you referring to? I ask because depending on what you are treating, maybe there is another  medication
    • Posted

Hi my doctor says there is no other medication. The reflux is due to pressure in stomach due to IBS not excess acid

Domperidone is a motility/ and anti emetic.

• Posted

Hey claire domperidone will mainly  push the stomach content forward so will help in reflux and reduce nausea and vomiting but if you have IBS-d and if you are experiencing side effects then consult your gp and change the medicine.
    • Posted

Spoke to her today and basically no alternative I go from diarrhea to constipstion, but I react to everything. I just wondered if anyone had any other ideas or had experienced the same.
    • Posted

hey claire sorry she could not help...But can you tell us what is the real reason of your acid reflux? for example gastritis, hiatal hernia or just loosening of lower esophageal sphincter....initially u can try reducing the dose of domperidone up to half and observe for a week...If after reducing the dose you experience acid reflux as dose is not sufficient and also experience diarrhea then you can try over the counter ranitidine...it will basically reduce your acid reflux and with that you can take sucralfate or carafate that will reduce acidity in your stomach...hope this will help...and if you try that please let us know if that works or not...
  • Posted

Div sorry daft phone cut the message off, charcoal tablets they were recommended to me years back for IBS d, but i don't have it. It's meant to bung you up.

• Posted

Hi, sorry it took me so long to reply. Yes I have tried charcoal. I go from constipation to diarrhoea, so taking them made me stuck at constipation. Which led to other problems! IBS seems to do that! Thanks for your help anyway. Claire
    • Posted

Hmm I would speak to your chemist, they're good with medication, well for me at least!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.