Don’t eat overripe bananas if you are having stomach issues.

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I have been having stomach issues for a few weeks. Gastritis, IBS and it was all made worse by anxiety. Anyway, I have just decided to eat a banana ( it wasn’t bruised but was very ripe ) anyway, it immediately made me feel sick and I had to throw it up. Like immediately after eating it. I’ve looked it up and apparently eating overripe fruits are actually bad for you if you are experiencing gut issues. Anyone else every had this? Or is this just me? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I have the same problems as yours, like Ibs or acid reflux.

About eating overripe banana, I've tried afew times but so far I have not experienced a situation like yours.

Maybe, for you, it occured just once.

Don't get too obsessed with that.

Perhaps your issue has just happened accidentally or your stomach couldn't digest some other foods you've specifically eaten today with overripe banana.

Don't worry.

Take care.

• Posted

On the fodmap list, they say avoid ripe bananas, but unripe bananas are fine.

I have my bananas in a smoothie.

• Posted

Hi I eat bananas don't seem to have much trouble with them, do you have China seeds?, I soak them then you get the gel great for constipation issue's and full of nutrients, I've started soaking nuts and seeds it gets rid of the enzyme inhibitors phytic acid etc far less gut problems this way, many seeds and nuts are ok on the FODMAP diet.

• Posted

Gastroenterologist told me not to eat anymore than three pieces of fruit per day.  Too much fruit can cause fructose malabsorption.  Reducing fruit intake did help, I find more benefit from vegetables.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.