Don't know what's wrong with me...any ideas?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For the past for months, I've been having symptoms that are very distracting. 

When I have something wrong with me, my first instinct is to ignore it. I don't like telling people about my problems, so I wait until something really bad happens to do it. I am aware that that's not a very smart thing to do, but I do tend to do it for whatever reason.

It all started a few months ago. I kept having pain or just uncomfortable feelings around my upper abdomen. They'd come and go, but these were easy to ignore, so I didn't think anything of it. 

Then one night the feelings in my abdomen got worse and I started having chest pain as well. I went to tell someone, but as soon as I tried to speak I felt like I was going to faint and I couldn't talk. I was having trouble breathing. So I walked away and wondered what to do.

After this, every time I sat down, my legs would start shaking. That only happened after a few seconds of sitting down.

I finally showed someone what my legs were doing. They told my mom, who took me to the hospital. She had to hold me up because I still felt like I was going to faint. According to her, I looked really pale.

I spent hours at the hospital and had some tests done, and no one could find anything wrong, except things that had to do with my heart (explained below).

My mom's convinced I have either an iron or B12 deficiency. She said that the tests they did for those aren't accurate at hospitals, because they told her a while ago that her iron was normal and then another doctor told her that it was way too low after they did a more advanced test. 

The doctor said that I might just have anxiety. She thought the whole time that I was nervous at the hospital (no idea why) when really I felt calm and peaceful there. I really don't think this is anxiety. She also said that my heart rate was too high even though I had been laying down for hours and I had a heart murmur. I could feel my heart beating in my chest while I was there, and this was a new symptom. 

So a while after all of this happened, I keep getting new symptoms. Here is a list of the ones I can remember:

- Lower back pain and aching

- Sharp pain in back of my neck (this could just be my muscle though, but it feels like an electric shock...very painful)

- This only happens once in a while and doesn't last long, but pins and needles in both legs while I'm walking

- Sharp pain on the left side of my chest, right where my lung is in a specific spot - this causes me to only be able to take tiny breaths at a time because it is painful

- TIREDNESS: this is the biggest, most distracting symptom. If this would only go away, things would be much better. I think this might have been the first or second symptom I had. I just feel weak and extremely tired, like I'll fall asleep at any moment, even though I get plenty of sleep and have no trouble falling/staying asleep

- Lightheadedness

- Feeling like I'm not getting enough oxygen

- Weird tingling sensation in my mouth (it is hard to describe, but it's like tiny little shocks all over my tongue).

I just want all of this to go away. I can't get work done without some new symptom appearing that causes me to not be able to concentrate. 

As I said, my mom thinks this could be a B12 deficiency. Does it sound like that, based on the symptoms I'm having? I rarely eat meat (I was a vegetarian my whole life, from the time a was born, then a strict vegan for a few years, then I started trying to eat dairy, eggs, fish, etc.), so maybe that caused it?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I also forgot to mention that I have internal tremors and my legs often feel weak.
    • Posted

Hi test your ferritin levels and vitamin D
  • Posted

Have your serum B12 and Serum B9 (Folate) checked by your doctor.  

Either that, if you don't have absorption problems with your stomach try nB12 and folic acid supplements to see if they improve or resolve your symptoms

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.