Don't know what to do.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been in awful pain for days now. GP said I have a bladder infection

that has set my diverticula off and told me to keep on with the pain killers

and to up the fybogel . Problem is it's not working!I'm scared to eat as the pain is so bad even though I'm starving hungry. Having a bowel movement just makes the pain flare up repeatedly so my bowel can't heal.

Anyone got advice on what to eat?I fancy soup but can't tolerate tinned.

Anyone got a soothing soup recipe ?I'm thinking of going back to out of hours GP but doubt they'd do anything for me. I just can't cope with this pain !!Advice please. I'm desperate for pain to ease.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry that you are suffering so much.  I hope you are getting antibiotics to clear up your bladder infection.  The last thing you should have if your bowel needs to heal is fibre so I can't understand why the GP said to take Fybogel.  I suppose the idea is to empty the bowel.  But I think most GP's simply have no idea of how to treat flares of Diverticulitis. 

What I take is a meal replacement drink like Complan or one of the diet drinks.  You can make them with milk or a milk substitute and at least they give you minerals and vitamins.  If you can't take tinned soup, can you take supermarket fresh soup - something like a chicken soup (fibre free) which can be blitzed down?  The blandest soup I know is 3 trimmed leeks, 2 maris piper potatoes, 1 large onion, all diced, then poached for 30 minutes in 1 pint chicken stock, then blitzed.  But of course there is fibre in it.  Then there is yogurt, or baked egg custard.  All light and slip down.  I take paracetemol and a hot water bottle to help with the pain.  I hope you get some relief.

• Posted

Go to A&E if it's that bad. Iam sure they will sort you out. I hope you feel better soon

• Posted

I usually spend a couple of days a week just having chicken soup. This seems to help me Today I am full of cold and to top it off my stomach is acting up So iam just going to have soup a little bit of bread I hope you feel better soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.