Don’t know what to do :(

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi guys....

i have bad anxiety and was prescribed 20mg prozac. this is my first time on meds.

its my 4th day and im so afraid. im so afraid of going crazy or losing my mind to the point i need an ambulance or to go to a mental hospital.

my anxiety is just.... through the roof. is this normal?

i dont know if i should push through or quit

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi im on day 11 of a different med duloxetine and feel the same way! what do you feel? my anxiety is so high im even having panoc attacks and fear? i though started feeling this way before instarted the meds so i keep tellikg myself its me and not the meds! dis the doc give you anything else to take to offset the anxiety till the meds kick in?

• Posted

The problem is that to get better we have to suffer these dreadful side effects, I am on fluoxetine and Tuesday it will be six weeks, at the moment I have a few good days and then not so good, I had no appetite couldnt eat, couldnt sleep, was very shaky and generally felt horrid, lost almost 3 stone.

I kept saying to myself you will get better, I have been on this drug many years ago and it worked then so I believe it will work again but every one is different some get better fast in a few weeks and others a few months, there is no set time for any one person.

just keep in touch on this web site, it will help you get through it,, its helped me.

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your story, I know this is hard.

I have been on a few meds and I personally did not think Prozac was the best for anxiety. It was very beneficial for other things but for me I just did not think it was the best.

I’d speak to your doctor as soon as you can, but in my opinion you are probably having this reaction because it’s not the best fitting meds for your needs. I think something like Lexapro or Celexa would perhaps work better.

I will say this is a process and you are going to have some unexpected and unpleasant emotions while adjusting so to an extent this is normal but I’d speak to your doctor. I hope this helps- even if it’s just a piece of mind.

• Posted

hi there , sorry to hear you are feeling like this 😦

i was exactly the same when i started taking fluoexetine . I promise it will get easier. For me those symptoms lasted about 4-6 weeks but got easier near the end of the 6 weeks. Its your brain adjusting to the serotonin levels i think ? If you start to feel like you cant bear it go back to your doctor? i hope you start feeling better soon x

• Posted

wow 4-6 weeks? i cant do that. now im feeling depressed and hopeless

• Posted

Hi

I was interested to read your post.

I am also on fluoxetine Tuesday it will be six weeks, just over two weeks ago my dose was increased to 40m at the moment I have may be a few good days and then not so good, did you feel like that, or did the low mood just change and you felt yourself again, I would be interested to hear how long it took you to feel normal again, I just want each day to be the same .

I would love to hear from you on your recovery.

• Posted

hi there, i was on fluoexetine for 13 years overall and when the initial side effects stopped i felt so much better . I can only describe it as feeling slightly numb to everything - i didnt get upset or anxious but also I didnt ever feel super happy - like when you cry with laughter at some things!? ive come off it now as i feel ready to, theres probably never a right time to come off but giving it a go xx

• Posted

How long did your doctor say the initial side effects would last? everyone is different of course but i think 4 weeks is the usual. Please see your doctor if you can - they may prescribe another type of medication more suitable ? x

• Posted

Hi

I was the same as you probably on it for about 17 years, it did work for me then, but about two years ago I came off it gradually taking one every other day 20m, but it was the worst thing for me as part of this year I had a lot of illness starting in June and it tipped me over the edge, I new straight away I was depressed had that low mood and couldnt laugh or feel happy, felt just awfull, I was put back onto fluoxetine 20m then just over two weeks ago it was put up to 40m I had all the side effects again, but kept battling on, it will be six weeks on Tuesday, I cant say I am better, I have a few good days and then not so good, but I keep telling myself I will get better like I did before, this drug needs to fully get into the body, some people it works fast and others months, but I would not want to swop meds.

When I am better I will stay on a low dose, couldnt go through this again, its like hell and back

• Posted

You need to stay on the prozac , you will get side effects and feel worst before you feel better, but you have to get through those bad spells, I am on 40m fluoxetine started with 20m was put up to 40m just over two weeks ago, I had all the bad side effects again, but I didnt give up the fight, I had no appetite couldnt eat couldnt sleep, had the shakes hot flushes, lost 3 stone but I kept battling through, I am coming up to six weeks and I may have two good days and then not so good, but I keep telling myself you will get better, I have been on this drug many years ago and I got better and felt good, just wished I had remained on a low dose.

keep fighting this drug works.

• Posted

It will work!! The side effects in the beginning can be brutal, but over time they do calm down...... it took 4 months for mine to calm down and for me to start feeling like i was ok..... but it did happen. Prozac can cause some major anxiety in the beginning, and most Dr's will happily prescribe a small temporary dose of a benzodiazapine to help, but don't take them for too long as they can be highly addictive. Ive taken this for many years, and the benefits FAR outweigh the side effects in the beginning. Therapy is a good tool, as is meditation, exercise, reading..... you just need to hang in there.... don't stop now, you'll just have to start all over with a new drug, and it could be worse for you. It will get better..... when i started on it the first time i started at 10mg and had really no side effects...... the second time I started on it i was at 20 mg and it was much worse... but i got through it, and you will too....❤❤

• Posted

Oh thank you so much, you have made me feel better, I was worried when one day was good and the next day not so good.

i had the awful side effects twice, when I started on 20m and when the dose was increased to 40m, I had no appetite, no sleep the shakes and a very nasty hot feeling throughout my body, I have just started to eat now after all this time, I have lost almost three stone, so I think I am getting better as before I couldnt eat at all, just had some soup.

I was on the fluoxetine many years ago, but I cant remember much about the recovery, just that when I was ok I felt good, I stayed on it for years, but the Doctor at that time about two years ago wanted me to come off them, so I was taking them every other year, I regretted coming off them, when I am better this time I intend to stay on a low dose, I am so glad you contacted me, as some people have made me feel negative, I would love to hear about your journey to recoveryX

• Posted

mine was the same and I went back to the doctors and they prescribed me beta blockers and this is a game changer. Go back tomorrow and ask for propranolol 10mg to get you through this bad patch. You will thank me honestly. Good luck. Get on YouTube aswell as start searching help with anxiety and meditation helps which I've never tried before and now practicing. Doing a journal is good too get your thoughts down as remember you are not your thoughts they come and go and change all the time. Nicola bird on you tube or face book is brilliant. Hope this helps don't ever give up fighting

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.