Don't know what to do

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im 16 and really dont know what to do. For most of my school life ive been, well I dont want to say deppresed but i have next to no motivation to do anything and have had suicidal thoughts for a while. I really dont think ill do something to myself but it dosnt stop the negative thoughts.

i dont want any sympathy. The thing is i dont have any real good reason to be deppresed so maybe its just me.I havnt gone through any major truma or accident. i havnt suffered any abuse form anyone. I have little to no friends and i cant talk to my family as im incredibily shy and reclusive. I spend all of my time playing video games, which I know isnt healthy but its the only thing that pulls my mind away from these negative thoughts. 

Anyone gone through something similar?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have gone through exactly what you have gone through so i can completely understand how you are feeling right now.  Its like you are the younger version of me. Don't worry with a few changes your lifestyle you will get out of this bad feeling and go into this amazing positive feeling.

I would advise you to do things that make you happy. Play video games moderately/minimally but more importantly try to work on improving on what you want to achieve in terms of career, family, spirituality etc. Surround yourself with positive people and remember there are people like you and me who are looking for good friends! So eventually you will find some really good friends. try to get control of your life and you will be doing a lot better and then may be you can use this experience to help other people which i know you will! So cheers for the better you!

• Posted

will talk to your GP regards your concerns. You can go by yourself at sixteen

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Will,

sounds like the depression is your biochemistry because it is not something happening in your life.

I think you should have your mum take you to the doctor and see if meds could correct it.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks for all the replies. Im still thinking about what to do.
  • Posted

Hi Will - sorry to read of your situation. I wondered whether there are any depressive/anxiety disorders in your family/relatives? I was also thinking that perhaps this is the hormonal changeds going on in your body at your age. It is quite usual for teenagers to be super sensitive and shy - it's just a phase of becoming an adult.

If you have any enduring concerns with how you are feeling, see you doctor. Don't be frightened or ashamed to open up to him/her. He/she will have heard it all before and will know how to help you. Remember you have a long adult ;ife ahead of you and and you vcan do anything you want with that. Best of luck whatever you decide.

• Posted

Hi Will,

How are you feeling lately? I think I read on another discussion that you had been opening up a bit to your step-mum via text message. This was a smart move as keeping honest communication going is always a positive thing to do. I remember something a therapist once helped me to understand when I was struggling with my secret suicidal thoughts on a daily basis. He said I could open up to family and close friends but it was ok to just share as much as I thought they could deal with, so I didn't need to dump everything on them at once. On the whole, that kind of partial sharing has worked for me. Have there been any developments yet? I think you could really benefit from talking to someone - the right therapist can make a big difference. Keep in touch :-)

• Posted

hey Digsby,

Thanks i think it is helping talking about it but its still early days. Ive only really said that im not feeling good, thats about it really, she said she'd set up an appointment but nothing yet. To be honest i dont have a clue how im going to bring up my suicidal thoughts to a doctor, and this kinda terrifies me, i have heared some people write it down but i would feel stupid handing him/her paper with my true thoughts and waiting for the shocks on thier faces.

• Posted

Hang in there mate. I think you'd be surprised. Although it is a shock to you (and you know the truth would shock those close to you), the health professionals have a lot of experience of dealing with people who are struggling with dark thoughts. I might almost go as far as to say they are unshockable. Don't take that as a challenge though ;-)

It's perfectly legitimate to write your feelings down and communicate this to someone you don't know and who doesn't know you. The most important thing is getting the message across, not how it's delivered. Please don't feel embarassed or awkward. Dealing with this kind of thing breaks all the usual rules of social interaction - it's a medical thing ;-)

Keep strong and let us know on the forum if you need to chat or get any more support from those of us who can empathise with what you're going through. I hope the clouds start to lift for you soon :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.