Don’t know what to do

Posted , 8 users are following.

so I'm a couple weeks away from my year anniversary. Last November I had my left hip replaced. I woke up from surgery with foot drop. Spent four days in hospital with doctor telling me he thought it could be the spinal block then he wasnt sure what happened but my tendon must have gotten stretched. Sent me home I received three days of at home physical therapy. Yes 3 days then they released me and i went back to work within two weeks. Ive had pain in my groin and the nerve pain was pretty unbearable for awhile but has gotten better. Now my other leg hurts Im sure from compensating for not being able to walk right. I do where a brace now, I've had the nerve tests done its just dead no response. Im 52 years old and a heavy equipment mechanic which im finding increasingly difficult to do my job. The surgeon has suggested a tendon transfer surgery now. This is the only surgery ive ever had and it didnt go so well so I'm apprehensive to say the least. Plus Im in the US I cant afford another 10-12 thousand out of pocket for another surgery. Im just at a loss for what to do.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

for you guys that did have nerve damage, do you happen to know how many anterior surgeries your surgeon actually performed? little experience, medium, or alot of experience. thanks for any input.

• Posted

I don't know the exact number, but I am a home health care nurse and over the past 10 years we have taken care of many anterior approach surgeries from the surgeon I used. This is why I was comfortable enough to go this way and to use him. He has a very good track record for all his surgeries. Like I said I was the lucky one who drew the short straw. My only problem with him is he will not even acknowledge that it happened during surgery.

• Posted

"Im in the US I cant afford another 10-12 thousand out of pocket for another surgery." Nail meet hammer

That is the problem with the US healthcare system. Insurance doesn't cover everything so what do you do? you put it off, you put it off, and you put it off and then when you finally go in you are in much worse shape, need more invasive treatment than you would have needed had you gone in earlier.

What tendons is the surgeon recomending transfering? From where to where?

The first thing I would do in your place is go for a second opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.