Don't know what to do any longer.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been battling depression for nearly 10 years now. It can make me very moody and angry. I got it under control in 2013 when my doctor prescribed me Bupropion. I still have my good and bad days however. I am getting hit hard with retroactive jealousy questions from my wife of 20 years. The questions she asks are loaded, in that no matter what I say, the result will be upsetting. My wife is my first true love. I dated other women years before her. Nothing lasted for more than 3 months if that. Those relationships didn't work and they lead me down the road to meeting her. She can't grasp this when I tell her this. She thinks I had some deep emotional involvement with them. Over the years she always asked me question about the people I dated before her. I would dance around the questions, because I no it would upset her. Finally last year she was really angry, I caved and told her a little about the people I dated. Nothing was serious, I did not fall in love with them. Because of me opening up, it has lead to spurts of retroactive jealousy that causes her to resent me at times. I don't know how to handle this any longer. It is really bad now to the point where she thinks about leaving me. I am lost, hurt, and falling back deeper into depression. I have nobody to talk to about it. I feel like I have committed a crime, because I dated people before I met her. I love my wife more than anything in this universe and I don't want to lose this marriage.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

hi michael, you didn't ask for depression, nobody does. this was your past, just that. if you don't do this now then the problem is???? you need to concentrate on anyone else except you, otherwise you'll never learn to cope with depression. do what you can. it sounds cruel but..... needs must. just be absolutely truthful with your wife....

• Posted

Hi Michael, i think that your wife may need therapy. maybe you both should life coaches. i am so sorry you are going through this.

• Posted

Hi Michael, i think that your wife may need therapy. maybe you both should life coaches. i am so sorry you are going through this.

• Edited

Doesn't sound like optimum conditions for a person like yourself who is already suffering from depression, especially if your wife is occasionally threatening to leave the marriage.

But I think what you're dealing with here is a person who needs help herself. Her level of jealousy is definitely not normal and it sounds like she needs therapy and medication in order to deal with her problems.

I was pathologically jealous at one point in my life and it turned out that I was suffering from depression and anxiety, both of which require medication.

It's very important you keep your head about you and do not give in to any feelings of guilt because you've done nothing wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.