Don't know what to do, desparate

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am new to the forum and hope someone can help.  I am 44 years old and have had a total hysterectomy.  I am therefore in surgical menopause.  Hot flushes, moodiness etc.  I am also high risk cancer, having annual mammograms.  Here is my problem: I have been for my annual mammogram on the 29th Jan this year, all clear.  Two weeks later started getting a burning aching pain in left breast, shoulder and underarm. And more recently the pain waking me up. I have been to GP she referred me back to the breast clinic.  Just been today to the breast clinic and was told I would not need another mammogram as I have just recently had one.  So was given a breast exam by the consultant and was told that no lumps where found and to just take paracetamol and watch my diet.  My question is, is this type of pain normal for menopausal women?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Teresa,

I am not sure I can be helpful, I am only going through peri menopause but personally I experience all sorts of discomfort in my breasts during the days leading leading up to my period and it definitely feels hormonal. I do have a lot of anxiety about it as well as my mum had a breast cancer. But sometimes it's just so hard to know what's hormone related and what isn't. I was in agony with the pain in my breast just few days ago and now as my period started it's easing off. I still get panicky though. Last year I even had mammogram and scan done abroad as it's cheaper, because they wouldn't do it here as I am 46 only. I am originally from Prague and they focus on prevention care and would encourage most women to have annual check ups. I experience pain in my shoulder too. I can imagine your body is going through a great change after your operation and you are starting to feel it. Did you get any advice how to cope with it? If you read through the posts in this forum, you will get a good idea of what people find helpful for different symptoms. I hope you'll find some helpful tips. Take care!

• Posted

Hi Daisy

Thank you for replying.  I was told to wear sports bra's 24/7 which is not very comfortable.  To be honest I was not really satisfied with his 'casual take' on it.  He made me feel as though I was being petty.  It is very stressful to always be on guard for dreadful 'C' word.  I have taken his advise and am now wearing the sports bra so will see if this improves.  My partner thinks I should go for a second opinion.  I have read other posts and it seem alot of women are anxious about the same thing so I dont feel alone.

• Posted

It does help to know we are not alone in all this because given how little support we seem to get from the medical professionals it would be too easy to think we are just imagining this. I think second opinion is a good idea especially giving your risk factors. I hope you'll find someone who would listen to your concerns.
  • Posted

Dear Teresa,

At 51 i was starting to go through menopause but had my ovaries out due to family history. I too have regular mammograms (I have from mid thirties) Everyone is different with their symptoms,I have felt twinges in breast area and know women can suffer painful breasts. I had a pain the other day on the underside of my arm but wasn't sure if it was muscular. I would say if you aren't hsppy with what they say, then go back for a second opinion.and be persistant. It is a scary time this meno and i personally have had a taste of the many symptoms of meno

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.