don't know whay to do about my anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Basically I suffered from shyness for a long long time, but it's starting to get worse. I have a boyfriend and a job and find it extremely difficult to communicate with his family and customers. I even find it hard to properly talk to my grandparents, aunties and cousins. I don't speak at all to my boyfriends family and whenever I'm near them I get extremely nervous and go shaky, with a lump in my throat, feeling like I could burst into tears. I constantly erry after any sort of communication with anyone except my close family, like have I said something stupid? have I made a fool of myself?

When I was at school I avoided every situation where I was suppose to do a presentation to the class, and other students use to pick on me a lot because I was very anxious. My friends use to fall out with me because I never really spoke.

I also get these horrific stomach cramps, that only seem to come on when I get nervous, which I saw a doctor about and got diagnosed with ibs. I also suffer from extreme ocd where I have to think about my past actions, for example what I have worn every day for the last week, what I did at what exact time, also rethinking conversations and what exactly was said. I keep a diary of the outfits I wear every day, just incase I ever think back

its getting so unbearable, I really cannot cope. I dread work everyday because I work in retail and I just can't talk to customers, my mind goes blank and I just can't find anything to say. 

i would like to see a doctor but so afraid they would just say I'm being silly and there's nothing wrong. I really don't know what to do, my family have suggested to see a counsellor, but I have had counselling before and I just don't find it helps very much as I can't open up to them as much as I should

please help me,I'm really don't know what to sad

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would deffo go see a doctor if you feel it's effecting your life and it's not silly at all just the way some of us are I used to be like that I started making myself talk to strangers just silly things like asking time or directions even if I knew where I was going did help baby steps tho and gave me a bit of confidence but I'd see the doctor maybe some beta blockers would help I'm not that clued up in meds but there will be some good advice on here from other people
    • Posted

hello thank you very much for your help, decided I'm going to see the doctor :-)
  • Posted

Hi Lauren, bless you, I understand exactly how you feel xx please see your doctor for maybe some mild tranquilizers....they will help to relax you...

I promise I will write you a long post at the weekend, I spent two thirds of my life. Agonizing like you.. ( it is awful I know ) .. nowadays my life is completely different, I will explain longer the weekend... my shyness was because of a severe stutter... which I still have occasionally, but nowadays I cope with it... please don't give up hope, I will post you over the weekend....sincere regards to you, DEIRDRE xxx

• Posted

hello Deirdre,

thank you for your help, I'm going to the doctor, hopefully they will be able to give me something to help smile

• Posted

Hi there!

I do think you need to see your doctor for some help. I also agree with your parents that you could do with speaking with a councellor, or even a psychiatrist, about your OCD. (Your gp should be able to refer you for this). 

When you went to seek counselling before did you ever try talking yourself around about what you were doing? For instance, I found it helpful to remind myself that they are paid to listen to my problems - plus they have heard most things out there - so nothing much will shock them. 

Also, try and be honest with yourself - were you scared of opening up to them? I have suffered with OCD since the age of 7. Until the age of 25, I didn't seek any treatment, I just hid it from everyone. It wasn't until I started trying to think of how best to kill myself I realised that I needed to seek help. 

But I was terrified about telling anyone about it as I was convinced people would think me mad and just put me in some sort of institution, however when I saw a counsellor, I found that this wasn't the case at all. 

So I will say this to you now... You are NOT mad.... OCD is merely a coping mechanism in order to help you combat feelings of anxiety. It is a miserable condition to live with at its peak, I know. And it angers me how people laugh it off. When you are in the grip of any episode, it is anything but amusing!!!!

But you can get through it - but you will need to seek help. Possible through CBT. It will be tough and uncomfortable, but if you can stick it out, then you will get through it. 

Your family sounds supportive, so talk to them. The more honest you can be about things to people, the easier you will find things to deal with. 

Good luck - I hope you start to feel better soon.  

• Posted

hello, thank you so much for your help :-) have spoken to family and made myself a doctors appointment
    • Posted

Oh good. I am glad to here that. Good luck with everything. biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.