Don't know when my bladder is full.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago and all went well except I could only dribble afterwards when I tried to urinate.

They kept me overnight and the next morning let me go home. I was retaining 250ml of urine but the surgeon said I was good to go.

At home, I passed small amounts and had difficulty starting the flow. At 6pm I had my last wee and could not go again. I didn't feel like I needed to either. By 4am, I had not been and was alarmed as I normally go twice through the night.

I called the hospital and went back in where they catherterised me and told me to return 2 days later. They drained off 800ml when I arrived.

I returned 2 days later, had one fabulous wee (although I didn't feel much sensation) and then it all stopped again.

I was then catherterised for 2 weeks to give my bladder a rest. I had the catheter removed one week ago and can pass urine easily and with force but cannot really tell when I need to go.

If I press on my bladder I can feel it's full and if I bear down I have a slight 'twang' lower down the bladder....also if I jiggle about, I can feel that my bladder is full but still no definitive feeling that I want to urinate.

I have never had any bladder issues before and nothing untoward happened during the operation and I have recovered well from the gallbladder surgery itself. I am on no other medication and am otherwise fit and healthy.

I had general anaesthetic.

I am now making sure I empty my bladder when I know it should be full and am setting my alarm at night to wake me up...although I am hardly sleeping as this whole business has traumatized me.

I am scheduled to see a Urologist tomorrow but wondered if this has happened to anyone else and did you recover full bladder sensation?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Were you catheterized during the gall bladder surgery?  If so, that may have caused a disturbance that has upset the balance of nature.   And if you had a general anaesthetic rather than local, such as a spinal block, the nerves should not have been disturbed.  
    • Posted

No. I didn't have a catheter as the op is only 45mins - 1hr long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.