Don’t know where to go next

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all, I have been addicted to codeine now for nearly 2 years going thru 100 30mg tabs a week. My doc is trying to taper me off and it’s not going well I am just topping up with shop neurophen plus when I run out of prescribed meds. I don’t think there isn’t a pharmacy in Plymouth I have not been to. It’s been so hard to cut down. The sleep deprivation and figgety legs at night is so bad.  Want to stop so bad but don’t really know where next to go! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I’ve never really done the taper plan and certainly not with my GP. I stopped taking them in August and although I have relapsed a few times (legitimate painkillers from my GP) I have generally stayed off them. My understanding (which is limited) is that if you’re doing the taper and are experiencing such withdrawal then you might be tapering off too quickly. It might be worth going back to the Docs and seeing if they can rethink the taper plan? Good luck with your plans!
  • Posted

Hi Michael, I agree with the other reply, it seems as though you are cutting down by too much at a time, the whole point of a taper plan is that you  don’t suffer chronic withdrawal symptoms.every person is different so just ask the GP for a longer, shallower taper plan, he can only respond to the information that you give him so just be honest with him.there are medications that can help with most symptoms but they will have to be given by the GP anyway, so a sensible taper plan is the way to go, you shouldn’t really experience much in the way of discomfort with the correct plan, it’s just finding what’s suits your body. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.