Don't like being on methotrexate but it really works for me

Posted , 4 users are following.

We hear all kinds of negative things regarding methotrexate I also have had a few side effects but I wanted to start a discussion on it's good side. It really has helped me be pain free, yes my hair has thinned slightly but a small price, all in all it's a wonderful drug, I know it's toxic etc but without it my life would be so different, anyone else agree and tolerate it ok?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Shirlee, yes I agree entirely.  I have been on this drug for 6 years and although I do suffer with various negative side effects, on the positive side I am pain free and have my mobility back.  Hearing about other drugs and their side effects, I am happy to stay on the methotrexate!  All the best.
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing Maggie I am glad it works for you too, let's hope it continues

• Posted

My hair also thinned when I began Methotrexate. I am still taking Methotrexate and my hair did come back...curly!  My hairdresser says that is not unusual.  
    • Posted

Hi Joyce

Mine has definitely thinned mainly around the hairline on the temples, ( a lot of people get that anyway as we age) it does seem to of slowed down now, I guess my body has got used to it. One thing though when I first started on the drug my rheumatologist told me that I need a flu jab and a phemonia one as the immune system is suppressed, I was horrified, so not long ago I got a bad cold, fully expecting it to go to my chest with an infection, I went to the docs they listened to my chest and says a slight crackel and gave me a prescription for antibiotics to pick up the next week in case I needed them, and basically I didn't need them as it went on it's own, I was really pleased x

• Posted

Hi Shirlee,

I am methotrexate and folic acid free, took 7 a week doctor increased it to 10 a week, but still I kept on using 7, but last year in december 2016 I just had enough of these drugs, I am pain free.

• Posted

Hi

Wow so you came off it, well I have had no problems either with pain since being on it so my rheumatologist has said when I see him in August that he will look at taking me off it, the only thing I have had is a stiff index finger for a few days, no swelling, and a couple of other times where it literally lasted a day then went, I will obviously have to mention this, I am scared to come off it because of it returning, but want too if you get my meaning, I take 6 a week (15mg) and a 5mg of folic acid the other 6 days, I think I would feel better slowly dropping them 2 at a time before coming completely off. So did you just stop? And you have had no ill effects at all?

• Posted

Well I started this discussions just a couple of days ago and I mentioned that my fingers have been a bit stiff on a couple of occasions but didn't last long, but no swelling which is great, well guess what, my middle finger on my left hand started to hurt yesterday and oh my goodness double it's normal size and so painful over night and this morning, I thought things were going too well for me 😒

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.