Don't regret having back surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well am 8 weeks since having my surgery and the improvement is so good I would say am 80 percent better then I was . I do get some nerve pain and pain in my back but not nothing like it was .

Went to see physio yesterday and he said I got to start doing this now . His gave me stretches to do and said for me to get on with my life now he said I will get pain . But if I feel uncomfortable then stop but don't lift anything heavy .

As I not done anything for nearly 9 months he said have get my back going again.

Told him am scared doing things coz I never wanna feel that pain again . He went that does happen he said am allowed to bend now etc .

I can drive now , still can't get out of bath me self .

I know all he said and I have get this out my head but it's hard to do .

So am gonna do more now but to wake up every morning and not feeling pain and be able to walk normal and not be high on drugs all day feels good

I don't regret surgery , if your in doubt that think of how you are now and can you live with it . That's what I had to decide and iam pleased I went down that road .

Good luck to everyone still suffering my heart goes out to you . I still have a little road to go down but am getting there

Xx

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Donna, great news!

Best of luck with your recovery & getting your life back - slow & steady... :-)

Just remember:  put the back exercises & reconditioning first, all the time, build it into your day,  if you do that, then anything is possible.

Onward & upward, love & luck...

Steve

• Posted

Well done Donna

As Steve says, slow and steady. Even if it is not hurting much you are still healing. Your physio is right that you need to start getting back to normal life, but take it a bit at a time. Still be careful ending lifting and twisting. 

Do do the exercises but they should not hurt. If they do then back off the number or intensity for a few days.

You will need good healthy muscles, tendons and ligaments in your back from now on, so make sure you do some light core strengthening in your routine. Your physio should give you these. You might want to buy some resistance bands to do simple stabilisation exercises. I use Theraband ones, 2metre, red then green to start then blue later. These are really good for training the small muscles around your spine that control rotation and stabilise bending which are very important.

Good luck smile

Michael

• Posted

So good to hear of great results I want my consultant to pull his finger out and grow some gonads so he can be sure that surgery is right for me. After almost 4 years I need something to believe in and look forward to
    • Posted

I don't know how you coped all them years graham. I don't know we're my mental being would be at , I pray that I never feel that pain ever again in my life .I wish you all the best and try and push to get things going coz a life of pain is not good at all . Good luck

• Posted

Hi Donna

Really happy to hear how you are doing and the progress you are now making.... it's a long road and you are well on the way to recovery. Slow and steady wins the race, listen to the physio and keep up the physio exercises. It is so important to wake up all they muscles, core muscles and get them moving along with ligaments. Like you I was 9 months of being unable to move, on crutches and as result my muscles were all weak by the time I finally had surgery then physio but the human body has an amazing capacity to recover and I am now (11 weeks post op) walking several miles a day, using stairs in house to build up strength and 2 weeks ago started swimming (under physio guidance). I am feeling stronger each week, still on some medication (mostly lower back pain but some leg nerve pain) and have partial foot drop but finally feel I am now on road to living again. I start back at work next week after 11 months off!! My back won't ever be the same but if I can make my body as healthy and strong as possible then I can do this!!

Well done Donna, keep going you're doing great.

Take care all.

Alison

• Posted

Oh wow Alison , well done in getting back to work . Yes it is a slow process but I can see that finsh line now . My pain killers are only gabapentine now. And paracetamol ibrophen if really needed. His gave me exercises , and meant to do ten a day of each . One the exercises laying on me front and lifting up I can only do 3 sad am sure I get there though .

Well good luck with work Alison and am glad you on your way to the end of that finsh line as well

Xx

• Posted

Hi Donna

Yes, I'm determined to get strong and well. I can cope (mostly) with the back pain and some leg nerve pain, it's nothing like it was before. I am on a reduced amount of gabapentin, cocodamol and lidocaine patch (for back or hip) every day. Managed to stop the tramadol and dihydracodeine!

However, after posting yesterday I stumbled up a small step (foot drop is causing this) and although I didn't actually fall I feel like I have jarred myself- my leg niggily, foot sore and my back is aching (had lot of jaggy buttock pain which has mostly settled) and feel like my neck is sore too... I slept fairly well and pain has reduced a lot but just sooo worried I've done damage. I just feel very stiff this morning and achy 😖

I have a good phased return to work plan in place, I'd urge anyone going back to work after surgery to try to get this in place. I start back 2 days a week for 3 weeks then 3 days a week for 3 weeks then up to 4 days. I have enough annual leave to work 4 days until end of October which means I'm not up to 5 days until November!

Take care

Alison

• Posted

That's not good Alison my be just rest up today have a hot bath . It's scary when u do something . I still have nerve pain and back pain I stopped the tramadol this week. I only take it if I really need it. Me back seems to hurt more then nerve now . What job do you do ? Am gonna have ring the work nurse when am due back which is end of august

• Posted

Hi Donna

Yes my plan to just rest today and focus on gentle physio exercises. Don't think I've done any damage (fingers crossed). Good for you re the tramadol, it's a horrible drug to stop taking and I felt so much better after it was all out my system. The next one will be the gabapentin but think will be long time before I'm fully off that, no hurry.

I work for the local authority council Donna, you?

Alison

• Posted

I was silly I dropped down to 100mg after I had surgery on gabapentine. Not good move I thought once I had surgery I have no more nerve pain . Well I was wrong so am back up again now . Only to 600mg yes tramadol is a horrible drug wasn't hard for me to stop it . Am one the lucky ones I don't get addicted to drugs coz I hate the feeling it gives me . That's why I stopped morphine never gain in my.life will I take that . I work for a bakery so my job very physical

• Posted

Just on Tramadol, God it's awful. I was actually fine on it. Coming off it was mental torture though. I tapered off properly but felt utterly miserable and anxious the whole time, for weeks. My old surgeon that prescribed it mentioned nothing about possible withdrawal side effects. At least me and my poor wife would have understood what was going on sad

Anyway, good you are off it. 

This time around (second op) I was on Oxycodone in the form of Targin, with the odd top up of Oxynorm. But that was for about 3 weeks. That was no trouble getting off. It's the antidepressant bit of Tramadol that is the problem.

• Posted

Michael

I totally agree with you re tramadol! Like you I properly tapered off but thought I was going off my head! Extremely anxious, very down, not sleeping, night sweats.. I could go on! It was awful and although that's now 5 days since taking last one I still don't feel completely right. I really don't think I would ever take it again and was never warned about withdrawal by surgeon or gp. I have bought Tesco own make stress relief herbal tablets (they have valarian in them) bit early to tell if they are helping but plan to persevere with them for a month (can only help!). I am still on 600mg gabapentin 3 times a day but that's down from max dose of 1200mg 3 times day so I feel I am making progress there. Doc has given me 100mg capsules to reduce even more gradually.

Hope things are easier for you now.

Alison

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.