Don't return to work too soon.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi girls

I am 4 weeks post op. cystocele rectocyle and uretheral suspension. I might add this is for the third time.  I can't stress enough that the longer  you do very little the better chance you will have a successful outcome. I had my first round of repair when my youngest was 2 years. Had very little opportunity to heal while looking after two little children consequently  hyster cysto recto failed.  Second time round had another cysto recto bladder suspension and perineum repair. During this time had 4 children and a training business to run. Surgeon paid very little attention to dos and don't s and said I should be able to return to work in a few weeks. I did not feel my pelvic area was at all  strong but didn't want to appear malingering and I had contracts to fulfill. Surgery failed !

Having had the courage to present myself for the third time I really want to impress upon those newbies. I feel many surgeon are remiss in the info given and lets face it they don't have to live your life after surgery.

I found lying on a short cut sheepskin after surgery was just the best thing to ease the lower back and butt pain.

(Online from Skinnys baby rug large size) I also asked for stool softeners once I was eating after surgery second day  rather than waiting until you are so constipated from heavy pain Meds that you feel so uncomfortable and pressured and fear a BM.

I went to a pelvic physio before and after surgery ...invaluable.

I also saw a naturopath to get all the healing advice that I could.

As I am at the 4 1/2 week mark and have not had any of the optional extras that some of you have experienced I am optimistic as to my outcome. I am a very fit 66 year age defier and want to gain the maximum from life.  

I really hope you all have the best recovery you deserve it!

2 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I believe my anterior repair and sling has been a cure. 
    • Posted

Did they catch your anterior prolapse in early stages Robyn?  My neighbour had bad bladder incontinence issues couldn't make the toilet first thing in morning and had a sling fitted which she has said has been successful.

x. 

• Posted

Yes my prolapses hadn't come down and out yet. He only fixed anterior and decided on way into theatre to not do both at same time. I had stress incontinence when running even slightly, walking briskly, coughing, sneezing, laughing! I'm pretty scared about having mesh in there as it's now been banned in NZ for pelvic floor fixes. Ugh. But I'm trying to believe that 2 1/2 yrs on now, that if the mesh was going to give me grief that it would have by now. 

• Posted

So probably best outcome when catching prolapse problems early on (the smaller the prolapse the smaller the repair).

The mesh problems here in Scotland were due to them buying cheap mesh abroad (not sure exactly where from), so hopefully your mesh will be fine.

Also if you had urogyn... surgeon should be ok. 

I did ask for mesh before 1st repair, as I knew a lady who had it done years ago and has had no problems at all (but having said that her daughter sent her to best surgeon in America). Did research it and was aware of claims in America due to mesh going wrong and a female researcher at that time was blaming it on lack of training on how to use it. I assumed our NHS would have had better controls on who was using it in surgery and better training.

Anyway thank goodness consultant said no and talked of it being a last resort; found out a little later that around that time was when all the problems were coming to light here in Scotland.

2 and half years is good going hope you continue to have many years problem free. 

Phyl x👍

Phyl x

• Posted

Yes earlier the better. That's why on here I often tell girls to not bother stuffing around with kegals, physios, pessary rings etc. & just get booked for surgical repairs. The worse the prolapse the bigger the surgery, the longer recovery, & also less chance of long term fix. A very small proportion non-surgical may help, but most end up needing op. 

• Posted

The dodgy mesh here was cheap Chinese crap stuff. We had the same here with total hip joint replacements a few years back. 
    • Posted

Yes I'm sure it was Chinese mesh here too that caused all the problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.