Don't understand what happened

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there, I had a sigmoidoscopy done on 25th April - result : diverticular found, routine biopsies taken which came back negative. 

I had a colonoscopy done on May 21st. This result was all clear, no biopsies taken.

I had a repeat colonoscopy this morning. Apparently I was in so much pain I asked him to stop ( I don't remember). The written results say diverticular disease and routine biopsies taken. However, the nurse mentioned some inflammation.

I don't understand why this procedure was so painful when the others weren't. I also don't understand why the other two were clear yet inflammation has been found now. I'm not experiencing any pain or D. I had the repeat done as I was still having a bit of rectal bleeding when passing motions and because the second procedure hadn't found the diverticular I questioned if something could have been missed. 

Really worried I have IBD but I'm sure the biopsies would have picked it up. It's only been 2 months and I've had 3 procedures in this time. Surely it would have been picked up before. They didn't write inflammation on my discharge papers though so I'm at a loss. Surely they would have if it was severe?

Anyone have any experience of this? All were done on the NHS, btw

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Go to another Dr. & a completely different facility, and have the tests done again. I don't know how else to help you.
    • Posted

Are you in America? In the UK with our NHS you are signed up with a GP and stuck with one hospital unless you can persuade him otherwise. Even some big cities only have two hositals due to Big being Beautiful.
  • Posted

Hi there, I had my 2nd colonoscopy last week. During my 1st I was told I had diverticulitus. When I arrived for my 2nd I said I wanted no pain relief as I had done for the 1st. Having got it over and done with I have been told that I must be sedated if I have any more. The diverticulitus tightens the bowel and makes it inflexible which can then cause extreme pain. I wonder if this was the case with you I had a perforated bowel back in March when a diverticular burst due to infection. 
    • Posted

Hi Fiona, I'm wondering if that's what happened, then. I have to go back in 3 weeks and he's said if I have another I have to have anaesthesia. I think they want to do another. My left hand side is still sore this morning. I'll see what he has to say when I go back. I know when the same surgeon did a gastroscopy I was in pain afterwards and had painful swallowing for weeks after. I think he's a bit rough :-/ 
  • Posted

i Stella.. The same thing happened to me. The first one was bearable and a polyp was removed, the second, like you , I screamed for them to stop (I can vagualy remember someone shouting) I was told there may have been a part of the bowel that was inflamed but no abnormalities showed up. No one seems to be able to tell me exactly why it was so painfull

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.