Don’t want to have Debulking Surgery: Can you still receive chemo ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My Mother just finished her 6th chemo treatment for stage 3 Ovarian cancer and they want to Operate Now but she Doesnt want to go through the Operation as she feels she will Never Recover from it .. Her Doctor Doesnt want to give her anymore chemo as hes pushing her to have the Surgery .. Has anyone Ever turned down this Type of surgery and been able to Continue with Another type of chemo ?..

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

chemo will not remove the tumor it has to be surgically removed as its to big chemo shrinks it down to a removable size in order for the best chance is to have surgery

• Posted

my sons op was 13 hours long his tumor was 13 cm it was 9 cm after chemo and when they removed it u cant leave it in there chemo will not shrink it down to were it totally goes away even after surgery she is going to probably need more chemo or radotherapy to get rid of any cellular cancer thats left behind

• Posted

chemo is not good its bad in the long run it has long term side effects it can damage organs such as the heart lungs liver and kidneys it can cause secondary cancers like leukemia the less she has the better

• Posted

Grr I added a site that's full of really useful information and it's moderated me sorry

• Posted

Hi it must be incredibly hard for your mum to deal with this option, chemotherapy sadly is not always a cure and the only course open for her could be the surgery

She must be very frightened and will need lots of support from her family

I don't know enough about the treatment but I found this site which has lots of information which seems very knowledgeable so have a read, the more you know the better

Sometimes the unknown can be very off putting

https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/ovarian-fallopian-tube-and-peritoneal-cancer/types-treatment

I send prayers and God's blessings to you all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.