Don't want to turn into a vegetable after revision surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

New to the group. Scheduled for revision next Wed. after a partial done last December failed. Before I broke my femur, I was used to riding my bike 125 miles a week and was in very good shape. Since the original op failed, I've been hobbling around and doing regular workouts in the gym. Can't put any weight on the bad leg, but able to do the stationary bike and upper body weights.

Met with my surgeon today, and she says there's about a 75% chance they'll have to do an osteotomy go get the old implant out. If they do, then I can't put any weight on the hip for 6 to 8 weeks. I'll be wheelchair bound, and will have to have help going anywhere. Once the bone has healed, then i'm looking at another 6-8 weeks of normal THR rehab.

My question is, is there any way I can keep in any sort of shape during this time? If you had revision surgery, what did you do to keep your body from falling apart, without hurting your recovery?

I'm 70 years old, male.  Thanks for any help.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have had two hip replacments, but had no restrictions whatsoever with weight bearing, in fact they encouraged me to put my weight on in the new hip.

I had been keeping myself fit in the run up to my surgery in a deep heated pool, rowing with my arms while floating, and treading water to exercise legs, with a pool noodle or pool log, non weight bearing.

I was incapable of walking tooo much pain as what was left of hip joint was drilling a hole in my pelvis.

Ask your Dr if you can do non weight bearing exercise after surgery, you MUST be healed enough to avoid any chance of infection, my time frame was about 25 days after surgery until skin completely healed over.

Pool has been a life saver for me, and even a couple of years on try to go to the pool at least once a week.

• Posted

I have found that keeping the weight off by exercise is almost impossible after surgery.  I just had my 3rd surgery on the same hip in 3 years just 6 weeks ago, and have put on a few pounds again, I will be starting at my local gym under strict medical supervision next week arranged by my GP, this is not my regular gym that I was using before which had no real supervision other than seeing a regular trainer every couple of weeks.

I found that even the upper-body machines required me to sit in a position where I would be breaking the 90 degree rule - and that is not a rule to be broken as you are likely to dislocate if you do.

• Posted

I was told that all food was counted as zero calories after a hip op! I think you need the protein etc for the healing process. I was dreadfully sick presumably because of the opioids so did not want anything, which was pretty miserable. 
    • Posted

Ahh that is the problem, I thought I felt a few pounds heavier one side than the other!!!
  • Posted

Hi chaco,

If you cannot put any weight on your hip after the op maybe using something like the Thane Wonder Core on a light setting and weights both can be done sitting down.

I have looked up the osteotomy operation which seems quite complicated so, I will wish you good luck for that on wednesday.

• Posted

The best thing you can do is look after yourself properly and not worry too much about working out until you are fit and well again. You will run into problems if you rush the recovery.

8 -12 weeks will fly by and then you can really focus on keeping fit.

I am not able to exercise at all waist down currently so I feel your pain, but I am looking forward to THP so I can be active and fit again. Try to remain positive and all will be well! 

• Posted

Very good luck on Wednesday. I hope the operation is a great success for you 
  • Posted

...is there any way I can keep in any sort of shape during this time? If you had revision surgery, what did you do to keep your body from falling apart...

Hi Chaco-

Wow, your surgeon is really laying out some worst-case scenarios. I had a revision THR about 10 years ago. Trochanteric osteotomy was a separate line item, billed separately. But it's part and parcel of revision THR. The surgeon has to get the bad stuff out of your thigh bone, and sawing off a few inches on one side is at times the best way to do it. It is not a big deal for the surgeon, just another day at the office. For the patient, the post-op X-rays are dramatic--lots of circular clamps holding the thigh bone together. No extra discomfort is involved. But it is technically a fracture, so you gotta treat it as one. Plus, you will have a new, larger, stem. Gotta be conservative in manageing your recovery. Weight bearing is the big issue. Zero, as is predicted, seems awfuly low. These days, docs get you up on your feet as soon as possible. Better for your all-around health; better for your bones (get them some stress, stimulate regrowth.). 

Best I can advise at this point: do some upper-body exercises, get your arms and shoulders built up. Post-op, see how you feel. If you can tolerate moving your bad hip, ask your surgeon to recommend some modified physical therapy regime to your PT. 

Sitting around for two months post-op is an unhealthy way to begin your rehab, in my opinion.

HTH

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your kind responses. I'm trying to look at this as positively as I can.

I'll let you know how things went.

• Posted

After my revision the osteotomy was performed to safely remove the primary press fit implant without risking bone damage. This is the normal procedure due to the bone has grown on the primary implant. Bone growth is normal to secure both implants over time. The new revision implant is a little longer to ensure a good secure fit.

The cerclage cable system is attached to the femor to hold the revised implant and bone sections in place . The bone has natural growth to knit the sections of the femor together .

In my recovery I walked on the op leg three days later with walker very lightly and always took a good dose of pain meds ahead of walking and pt or It was impossible to walk. In PT only doing small exercises and never let the pt push my recovery. If it hurt I complained and stopped. After all thee sections of the femor had been surgically cut and needs time to heal and secure the new longer implant. I would remind the pt  staff when necessary, Inwas not in a hurry to walk until healed. 

I didn’t walk without a walker / cane for about 20 days and with pain meds. I was also in convalescent short term recovery so could I concentrate on recovery there was a lot of post recovery issues addressed by the staff and nurse. All meals laundry other personal needs bathing etc all taken care of by staff. Convalescence recovery went so much easier than trying to cope at home. Slowly with a rollator walker was able to work on my walking gate and allow healing . Three months later was walking pretty well without aides. Still a lot of adjustment in the leg foot from surgery, As time heals and regained strength improvement on a daily basis became incouraging and walking was the best way to get back in shape. 

Sending good wishes your way for a complete recovery . Believe in yourself and after revision we just move on adjust to life once again.  

• Posted

Well this gives me some real hope. Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.