Don't want to use steroids

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I've suffered with eczema since childhood (now 36) & used to use steroids a lot on my body & face when I had a flare up. Things settled for awhile & when I ran out I didn't bother getting a new prescription. Fast forward a few years & despite antihistamines the itching is driving me crackers & the what were once small patches like 5p pieces are now just st over 1" squared in size, swollen & red raw. I also have pompholyx on my hands & toes. I have been given some steroids to treat it but I'd rather not go down that route unless really necessary. What does everyone else do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Look for a good quality cream containing St. John's Wort as the main ingredient, and mixed with other natural skin-health promoting substances such as Calendula or Comfrey. As long as you have no allergies, these products may be helpful in providing relief. Small scale clinical trials have confirmed that a SJW-based cream may be helpful in combating Eczema.

I have been completely delivered from Eczema over 3 years ago by taking SJW pills for about 6 months. Please see my post in the Alternative and Complementary Medicine forum called "20 year case of Eczema cured with Saint-John's Wort". One word of warning about taking the pills... they can cause interactions if you are taking  medication to treat other conditions. So the cream may be far safer. I was not taking any medication when I took SJW pills.

Good luck!

• Posted

I take a zinc supplement when mine flares also use sudocrem on my face at night which helps tone down the redness but quite drying so then moisturise with pure shea butter..I use emollin spray or E45 spray on my body during the day.great for my back as it is hard to reach and these will spray on even upside down I also use emulsifying ointment which can be greasy but find it helpsĀ  It is trial and error I am afraid .Good luck hope some of this helps x
    • Posted

Thank you Greg & Susan you've both given me ideas to try x

• Posted

I also suffer from pompholyx eczema, I have just finished a 4 month course of prednisone and do not want to take steroids again! I'm using steroid cream and lots of moisturiser (double base cream) I'm hoping to find some natural remedies too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.