Donating blood

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just read that people with cfs can't donate blood. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

WOW, that's  new to me. if it's true, it shows how ignorant the general public and professionals are in respect of ME/CFS.  on the other hand, however, it might a consideration to those with ME/CFS as it's understood how depleted this cohort of people are. however, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

• Posted

I've never heard that before, either. Most medical professionals do not even recognize CFS/ME as a physical disease here in the U.S. Most think it is emotional or psychological.  Maybe it is different in other parts of the country. KPD

• Posted

Check their web site and you cannot give blood with Cfs so save yourself a trip 
    • Posted

I think the reason why is because they don't fully understand the illness and what causes it. You also usually need to be fit and healthy to donate blood, hope this helps 

• Posted

I was told this a long while ago,yes.I use that info when discussing M.E. with doubters. If it is all in the mind, then why might people be at risk from our blood ? I can only assume that their is more credence to it being viral damage and /or transmittable, than the N.I.C.E guidlines indicate.
    • Posted

Yes I've been reading a lot about it. It kinda makes me worried. I really hope its not transportable.

• Posted

Yes, same in the U.K. I had to give up as soon as I was diagnosed with post viral fatigue. It is listed on NHS/Blood donation website as one of the conditions which precludes donation.
    • Posted

Thanks for that info. Joanne. I wasn't aware of that.

I gave up giving blood some time ago as I could never get my Hemoglobin above 10 and eventually they refused to take anymore blood from me.

• Posted

Yes Joanne. Thanks for the information. This is news to me! I'd never read or heard of this before. KPD

• Posted

Well see this on google and this was 2010!  Thing is if you cant give blood then arnt they admitting it could be transferable then ? or is is this just to protect the person with the cfs, Cant see the connection with how donating your blood would harm you, maybe its to much of a shock on the immune system or something?

ME patients face UK ban on donating blood. Patients with ME will no longer be able to donate blood in the UK under new safety guidelines. Officials say the ban, starting on 1 November, is designed to protect the health of people with ME - also known as chronic fatigue syndrome.8 Oct 2010

• Posted

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I called our red cross and after being on hold for 10 mins and transferred to a couple different people they said I could if i didn't show symptoms. I wasn't looking to donate just thought it was "odd" that having something that most people think isn't real that they wouldn't allow our blood.

Have a wonderful day to all!

• Posted

Stephanie: you had me in howls of laughter with comment: ''just thought it was "odd" that having something that most people think isn't real that they wouldn't allow our blood''.

heck non- believers should be forced to have ME/CFS for just ONE day and they'd know how bldy. REAL it is.   LOL....................

• Posted

Yes Caitlin, as you say none believers should be made to have  ME/CFS for just ONE day and they'd know how  painful and  real  it is.   LOL. especially some of those who work in the dwp and those assessors for the PIP who often fail to appreciate the severity of this horrible affliction and the way it makes us feel. im often told well you look really well! arrr

• Posted

So true! But for some reason I look "sick" the other day someone said I look like i have 2 black eyes. So then I get to hear how tired they are....i just want to SCREAM!!!!!!!I've learned to not say anything. Lol but they can donate blood when they are tired.

• Posted

Susan, I suggest that last 2 groups of people you mention should have it for a year - wicked I know, but heck, when all your days are like an eternity in hell & they interrogate you and imply  ''you're not in much pain'', or/and your ''cognitive facility is OK'' and you lived a full and healthy life until this condition took over etc. etc think they may change their worn out tune rather quickly..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.