Done with Prozac...period!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

First mo, 10 mg, increased to 30mg by 3rd mo. Dr's directions... I began feeling more out of it while doing the 20 mg...would get periods of such tiredness, couldn't do anything all day.

After being on 30mg I turned into a zombie...my depression BEFORE was literally NOTHING to what it is now. Told Dr. (Just keep taking them) Well, every day is a mess...good thing I'm retired because most of my time in spent in bed... I try forcing myself to get out of my apt. bldg, but it literally is doing me no good anymore. Today I just kinda said: OK that is IT!!!! NO more of that _____! Another Dr switched me back to 20mg but it didn't do anything really...maybe a little less nausseated in the mornings. So beginning THIS EVENING...I am cutting myself down to 10mg per day. I will TELL my Dr this...he will not like it but it is MY body. Been cut back to 20 for 1 wk so figure thats enough... I know Prozac lasts longer in the body than ANY of the other SSRI's.... It has NEVER helped me to feel even a tiny bit better. I will get along with my anxiety and depression like I did before...with alternative meds/supplements. They may not always work as 'strongly' but at least I will feel ALIVE again...right now I feel like I have lost any sense of being able to do anything... I'll live through 'withdrawals' .

Well, thanks for 'listening'...if anybody has any Quitting Prozac stories they would like to share, I'll appreciate reading them. You all take good care.

Betty

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there: Did you take it for depression and anxiety or just depression? It's funny how doctors will easily give us SSRI's but won't give us Benzo's because they are suppsed to be 'addictive'. LOL!! From what I have read, SSRI's wreck more havoc then benzo's...but I may be wrong. This is my 5th day of taking 10mg and no anxiety at all. Also dropped a couple of pounds. Compulsive eating stopped on a dime. But I won't be increasing the mg regardless of what the doc says. Let me know how you make out coming off the meds, okay? Thank you!

• Posted

I really hope the 10mg keep working for you. That would be great.  I was given the Prozac for both depression and anxiety... Well, I can honestly give credit to NO anxiety...I am too dead tired and zombie like to feel nearly anything... Once awhile I'd feel angry...because I want the 'old me' back No, the A or D was NOT 'fun' but compared to this miserable state I am in, it was so much easier 'back then.'

I have NO appetite whatsoever. I know it has the opposite effect on some people. I have to force myself to eat even small amounts. If the 10mg is working for you, keep it up. It's YOUR body and mind...and YOU know what's best. Thanks for your reply, Cathrine.

• Posted

SSRI's aren't like other meds where you take a pill and you feel better in a few days.  These meds can be tough to take, and they also take a long time to work - months - so you won't feel any improvement for a while.  You get worse before getting better too and the side effects do wear off.  But, these meds really do work wonders if you can stick them out.

Be careful withdrawing - again you can't just stop them or you'll be quite ill - sometimes worse than when you were on them.  It's best to speak to your doctor if you're deciding to stop them.

K x

• Posted

I got immediate relief from anxiety and binge eating. I used to take Ativan pretty much nightly and now I don't take any benzos. I haven't had any side effects either. Maybe I got a placebo from the pharmacist...? LOL!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.