Dont be scared of hydrocele surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had read some posts regarding hydrocele surgery and was really terrified by the horror stories I read. I finally went in for surgery about 5 weeks back (after holding off for about 3 years). I am glad I finally had my surgery and my recommendation would be to not be scared as long as you are going to a good doctor. So check out the surgeon and make sure he is good before you have surgery.

I was scared of going under anesthesia because this was my first time. I have to tell you, that was the best sleep I have ever had. I had no recollection of the time I was under, absolutely no side effects and no pain when I woke up.  As long as your anesthesiologist is good, you have absolutely nothing. 

Do yourself a favor. Don't keep putting this surgery off specially if the hydrocele is big. You had better had this surgery when you are young vs when you are a few years older.  The docs will give you sufficient medicine for pain management. I took oxycodone just the day of the surgery and hated it because it made my head go round for an hour or two.  I took advil for the next two days and did not need any more pain medication after that. The surgeon typically loads you with pain medication so you have absolutely no pain for a few hours after the surgery.

This is becoming a long post, so let me stop here. I will post more later.  Let me know if you have any questions.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Good eve bro!How's your recovery?And the thing is there are lots and lots of horror stories out there which scare me a lot....some say their testicle is very very sensitive after the surgery i mean even after 2 years...and they also have swelling which would be permanent...These reviews really scare me a lot! I dont know what to do bro...Are you feeling the same kind of over sensitivity to your operated testicle?
    • Posted

There are complications in every surgery but they do not happen 99% of the time. What you are reading are the 1% who have had issues. There are driving accidents daily, but you are not scared to drive, are you? 99% of the peope who have had this surgery lead normal lives. I know of several people who have undergone this surgery and have kids after that. No big deal.  Dont get so scared bro. You are just making life difficult for yourself. You will feel so silly when you are done with it and are completely recovered. I am pretty much normal now.  There is some bumps because of scar tissue but this is normal.  Nothing to be scared of. If every woman was as scared as you are, there would be no kids in this world LOL.  Remember this pain is much less as compared to childbirth.
    • Posted

Just make sure you do some research on your surgeon and the hospital before you go for surgery. If your surgeon is good and experienced, you should not have any issues. Make sure the hospital has a good reputation.
    • Posted

Thanks a lot bro....!I'm pretty much fine now.....Your words just relax me...Thanks again bro!Have a GREAT LOVELY DAY!

• Posted

Hi bro!How are you?And the thing is my surgery was scheduled on 23rd of this month...One more question is my surgeon told me that the operated testicle will be a bit bigger than the normal testicle forever...Is it same with you too...?Is your operated testicle bigger?I mean is it like a bit swollen??If yes,is the difference between two testicles so high and abnormal to look at?And how are you feeling now?Healed completely?Thanks.
  • Posted

If some percentage of swelling is going to remain forever,will it be visible through track pants or jogging pants?Thanks.
    • Posted

hey,  different people have different reactions. In my case, there is no remaining swelling. Does not look quite like what it was before the surgery though.  But that does not matter because you will be better than what you are now (before surgery).  Go with a positive mind.  Dont worry. It will be OK. They typically load you with pain killers so you will not have any pain for the first 6 hours at least.  Go to the bathroom before you get out of the hospital as they pump you full of IV to hydrate you. So if you have a long drive before you get back home, you might have a full bladder in the car smile 
    • Posted

Good luck my man !!  It will be fine. Let us know how it goes.
  • Posted

Good eve bro! I've undergone the surgery yesterday... No pain at all...Actually they gave me anesthesia to spine and it made my whole body below the chest numb... I could hear them and smell the burning of my scrotal sac as they would cut with electric knife... The anesthesia was painful as it was given to spine... And later they shifted me to ICU..It was my most hated time as I felt like living in a dead body.. My legs were senseless,my stomach was senseless... But I was conscious... I was shivering cause of AC...nurses have Cooperated fine I should say... But I should be waiting when they would see me to complain my shivering as I could not yell...And they if have seen me,it's fine or else I should keep on shivering till they look at me...I stayed there for 4 damn hours... I've seen the HELL there...But my family kept on visiting me every one hour... That made me feel ALIVE! And then they have shifted me to our booked personal room in hospital... Starting from the moment my surgery completed,my spine started to hurt me like hell...It was paining every second till today afternoon... I could not sleep because of that pain...Today morning, my surgeon has come to rounds and told me everything is fine,we'll discharge you in the evening... Good thing is,I didn't feel any pain at all but rather I should say it's the discomfort I felt everytime I moved...I asked my doubts and the surgeon said your operated testicle will be 10 -15% bigger than the other, but another surgeon whom I was supposed to meet before the surgery for check up in the same hospital told me that everything will go to normal.. But both don't look exactly the same...Within four weeks, 80% of the swelling goes off and the remaining(the scar tissue) will go off a bit late like 4-6 months..So I was happy... And now I'm at home walking very slow like a tortoise lol...And the next Monday, my sutures will be removed...That's it... Will inform the rest in future... My god it took me a lot of time to type all this stuff... Hope it would help someone like me... THANKS!
    • Posted

But I should say that you have boosted me a lot in passing through this stuff and make myself better so that I can enjoy my life... THANKS A LOT BRO!

• Posted

Hey Bro, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am real sorry to hear about the pain you had from the spinal anesthesia. I am surprised they gave you this spinal thing.  I was given general anesthesia and woke up about 15 mins after the surgery was over. The anesthesia experience was very pleasant - I have never had such deep sleep in my life biggrin.  My anesthesiologist was very good and talked with me for about 15 mins before the surgery.  I was on the road and back home in 1 hr after the surgery. Do not know if the procedures are different. Which country do you live in? I am in the US, but this surgery should have standard procedures in most countries by now, since it is so routine. Maybe you packed a lot more liquid than most cases, which is why you should not wait too long to get the surgery done.  My sutures got dissolved, so I did not need to get them removed. 

Hope you are recovering well and have no pain in the balz. Remember to wear something like suspensory (described in my earlier posts). You can make one at home from an old pair of socks. Just make sure it is not tight.  Picture it as a small bag that holds the balz and hooks on to your belt, so the balz get supported by this bag and not by the boxers.  This really helps when you are walking.  It also helps when you lie down.  Do a google search for "champion suspensory" to see pictures. you can make just the front part by cutting the socks and having a length of socks to tuck into your belt in the front, instead of having the thing that goes around your waist to hold it up.

Good luck bro, and let me know how you are progressing. Hope you are already back on  your feet or are getting back on your feet very soon !!

• Posted

My sutures were removed yesterday... It was a bit painful I should say... I'm a lot fine now...no much pain even without painkillers...The surgeon was so good...He explained my every doubt patiently... He himself told me after the surgery that, "The previously said even 10-15% swelling will not remain as the 3/4th sac(not the scrotal sac) was removed.." So I was happy... I'm from INDIA.

One more thing is my other testicle was paining even before the surgery and after the surgery too...I told the doc..he said..it was paining before because of the pressure it suffered from the hydrocele effected testicle and it is normal to pain even now..there's no problem with the 2nd testicle and it's fine and it's pain will go down gradually.... Did you experience this?Thanks.

• Posted

sorry to hear of the pain. glad they were moved. if no bleeding from the skin, you should get better and better every day. Bhai sahab - I am from india as well, originally. My doctor is also from India.   Yes - there will be pain for the pressure, but it will go away in a few days.  Congratulations, you are done with the surgery you were so scared of !!
    • Posted

Haha... You're from INDIA huh!?!Sounds cool... I'm very fine now..walking very free...Out of pain...having very less swelling and even it's going down day by day.. My doc gave me an ointment to apply once a day and tablets too...I'm very that I've crossed it...Thanks bro...I'm not using hindi because it would be difficult for others to understand what we're discussing...How are you now???
  • Posted

But you know what the doctor told me I was carrying around 800 ml in my scrotal sac... I was like oh my God!?!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.