Dont be scared of hydrocele surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had read some posts regarding hydrocele surgery and was really terrified by the horror stories I read. I finally went in for surgery about 5 weeks back (after holding off for about 3 years). I am glad I finally had my surgery and my recommendation would be to not be scared as long as you are going to a good doctor. So check out the surgeon and make sure he is good before you have surgery.

I was scared of going under anesthesia because this was my first time. I have to tell you, that was the best sleep I have ever had. I had no recollection of the time I was under, absolutely no side effects and no pain when I woke up.  As long as your anesthesiologist is good, you have absolutely nothing. 

Do yourself a favor. Don't keep putting this surgery off specially if the hydrocele is big. You had better had this surgery when you are young vs when you are a few years older.  The docs will give you sufficient medicine for pain management. I took oxycodone just the day of the surgery and hated it because it made my head go round for an hour or two.  I took advil for the next two days and did not need any more pain medication after that. The surgeon typically loads you with pain medication so you have absolutely no pain for a few hours after the surgery.

This is becoming a long post, so let me stop here. I will post more later.  Let me know if you have any questions.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just had a hydrocele procedure a week ago, and I seem to be recovering fine.

I wanted to mention a few things to expect from the recovery process that I haven't seen on this forum or anywhere else online, for that matter.

1. A lot of my pain and discomfort the first day after the surgery was related to gas or constipation. I took the percocet that the nurse at the hospital gave me, but other than that, I was lucky enough to have only mild pain, so I avoided taking an heavy pain meds (prescription opioids), and my doctor later told me I was right for having done that.  One thing I have not read about is that it can be tough to figure out how to take a dump with stitches and bandages on your ballsack. Essentially it means you can't urinate while sitting down. So eat a high fiber diet, maybe take a stool softener, because you don't want to be numb and constipated. 

2. My doctor left a draining tube in me that had to be removed the next day. He did this to help with the swelling process. It was uncomfortable and I was glad to see it removed, but I think its a good way to go, because my swelling has been minimal. A possible side effect, however, has been a bright yellow liquid that I found on my bandages, on toilet paper while wiping, and to my horror one morning, soaked through my boxer shorts. I couldn't find anything about this anywhere online!

I called the doctor and he said this was normal. The takeaway message is, as long as you don't have a high fever or chills, and your wound isn't bleeding profusely, you're going to be okay.

3. This is a relatively small thing, but I couldn't figure out why my bottom lip was kind of numb for a few days after surgery. I was worried this might be a side effect of the anesthesia, but when I asked my doctor about this, and he said it was where the suction tube for the saliva had been placed.

Hope this helps, and that you can benefit from my experience.

• Posted

bro i am facing through this problem. but i am scared that after the surgery will i be able to keep my wife happy in bed... please do tell...
  • Posted

Hey, just had a Hydrocelectomy,  spermatocelectomy, and bi lateral vasectomy early this morning.  I was terrified!  I've been aspirating my hydrocele for around 4 years and it started filling up so fast i couldn't keep up.  Would get the size of a tennis ball.  Just last year a spermatocele formed as well so i decided I was done being a baby, and i would just get the surgery.  I Was tired of concealing the bulge in my pants. After reading so many nightmare stories online over the years, I was absolutely horrified at the idea..  Always wearing long shirts and baggy pants to hide it.  Well, here we are on day one, and it's literally been a breeze so far.  They brought me right in at 6:45am, had me dress in the gown then waited in the waiting room for about an hour.  Then they rolled me into the hallway of the operating ward to wait for my turn in surgery.  One of the workers made sure I had a nice warm blanket while I waited.  Then the anaesthesiologist met with me, asked some questions, then they rolled me into the OR.  They gave me some oxygen, then put in my IV, and started to inject the anaesthesia.  All the people were super nice, they even had some music playing in the background.  Once the anaesthesia was administered I was back awake in recovery before I even knew I was getting operated on.  Was groggy at first, but OK.  I fell in and out of sleep for about 15 minutes.  First thing I noticed was the awful taste in my mouth from the breathing tube, they must put some kind of gross lubricant on it.  I told the nurse and she gave me some water.  Pain started to come on a bit after about a half hour after waking up, more like a pressure than pain, nurse gave me one T3, took my vitals then moved me over to the next recovery where you prepare to leave and wait for your driver.  I had to urinate, the nurse let me walk to the bathroom, and had no issues urinating, no blood seepage through my bandage either at that time.  Walked back to my bed, and jokingly complained about the awful taste still in my mouth from the breathing tube, so she so kindly gave me a Popsicle, that really helped get rid of the taste!  At this point, my driver came in to get me, I requested one more T3 so I would be covered for pain on the bumpy ride home.  Was due for more pain meds around 4pm, but I skipped them as I'm not in much pain.  I'm about a 2/10 while sitting in my chair, and a 4/10 when walking.  If I laugh a bit, or cough slightly, 5/10/.  I have had to fart a few times, but have not been able to as it hurts to try and push it out, so that kinda sucks LOL.   Pain meds wore off after about 2 hours ago, and haven't needed to take anymore.  There is literally no swelling.  Incision was done on the opposite side of scrotum, so its very easy to dress.  just changed my mesh underwear and dressing, and the bleeding is minimal.  I've taken 11 days off work for recovery, but if the first day is any indication of how things are going to go, this is going to be a breeze.  Any question, feel free to ask!  I will try to update as my recovery continues!  At this point in time, I would highly recommend the surgery, it was so easy to get through, and to be able to go through this coming summer without having to hid an uncomfortable bulge in my pants, is going to be priceless!  

• Posted

I had a hydracele repair performed in January of 2008 at the recommendation of my urologist. I was having other complications with epididymitis which took me to the doctor. He noticed my slightly enlarged testical, and recommended the repair.

Post surgery I have had testicular and groin pain, I can't hold in urine, and my sex life has been affected. The urologists I see all think I'm crazy, but I'm confident my issues stem from the hydracele repair. I can't get them to do anything to help me, and it's very frustrating.

My suggestion, be careful. If it's not causing you pain or discomfort, don't do the surgery. If it is, follow all instructions regarding recovery carefully. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.