Dont feel right - but results are normal

Posted , 6 users are following.

I asked the doctors to check my thyroid because even though I am more active than 12 months ago, I have put on 1.5 stone and it's hard to shift, even earring 1000 calories a day. I'm only 5'2" and putting this much on is a lot for a little person.

For the past 12 months I have been developing more aches and pains. Firstly both shoulders, then may feet felt stuff and achy, an ache in my grown (tendon?), then diagnosed with carpal tunnel, then tennis elbow, 3 weeks ago I developed policemans heel. I am 46 and walk between 2.5-3.5 miles a day. I feel I shouldn't be aching

My heart rate can dip to 45, I'm tired but not exhausted, my hands and feet are always cold, I sometimes loose hair, my periods were awful but I underwent a procedure to clean my womb and now they are non existent with the coil fitted.

I've had blood tests - all normal

My free T4 is 13.3pmol/L lab range 10 - 22

TSH level is 1.2mU/L lab range 0.1 - 4

No T3 test

Can anyone tell me what you think, should I ask for anymore tests, or just start walking more!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to tell u this but most people who are hypo and very symptomatic take years to get a diagnosis. Try to find a naturopath who will test you for basal temperature Etc. Keep fighting. "If it quacks like a duck..."
  • Posted

Hello Gillian:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

When you feel off, gain weight despite diet, feel no energy,  you may feel cold, have brittle nails and dry scalp, your hair could fall out, feels sleepy, this is all the thyroid.

Hashimoto's is a type of thyroid disease that can look normal on paper but inside your thyroid gland is being attacked by antibodies.  So you need to ask the doctor to do a TPOA blood test to look for antibodies and another blood test called ESR, (Erythroocyte Sedimentation Rate,)  which measures inflammation in the body. This can see if another condition besides the thyroid is bothering you.

Thyroid disease comes from a few factors:

1. Family trait in your DNA

2.Other medical conditions like Lupus, Daibetes, cancer.

3. Lack of iodine in the diet (seen in 3rd world countries).

4. Damage to the gland, and abusive conditions. Also Epstein-Barr virus also know as MONO, which damages the gland.

I think you also need a blood cortisol level and a 24 hour urine check test. Walking will help but you need more blood work done to rule out thyroid disease and Cushing's Disease which can cause blood cortisol to go up and it can put weight on fast also.

Any more questions please ask.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Good advice Shelley. I seem to remember there are two tests to check for thyroid, the TPOA but I can't remember the name of the other one - can anyone else?
    • Posted

The other antibody test for thyroid is Tgab.  That's actually how I got diagnosed for Hash's.  My TPOA was like 36 but my Tgab was like 500.
    • Posted

Hello Barbara:

Also besides TPOA and TGab they can do an ESR (Ethryocyte Sedimentaion Rate), which shows inflammation esp. autoimmune types of diseases.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Gillian, I am not sure where you are in the world, but in the UK, the NICE guidelines state that doctors can prescribe levothyroxine (synethetic T4 hormone) for people whose tests are in the so-called 'normal' range. Unfortunately most doctors rely robotically on the TSH test and ignore symptoms. You could ask your doctor for a trial run and see if it makes you feel any better. I would also suggest keeping a diary of symptoms to track improvements. Let us know how you get on. 

• Posted

Thank you all, I'll make an appointment today

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.