Dont know what happened yesterday, need input.

Posted , 2 users are following.

had a scare yesterday and need to see if anyone has experienced something similar.

I was in the middle of a bike ride yesterday when my heart fluttered and started beating rapidly. I had no shortness of breath during all this but i felt weak and anxious, and something akin to a swelling sensation under my right rib. after I was picked up by one of my parents, the rapid heart rate was still there but not as rapid, and fast forward to today, my heart rate is back to normal, but the anxiety is still there.

the parent that picked me up thinks it was a sudden blood sugar drop since I drank a lot of soda the day previously, then had pizza for lunch before I went riding.

I suspect the high sodium in the pizza had something to do with it but, is it possible for a clot to get stuck in your lungs then dislodge again? I'm on Eliquis, have been for a couple years now.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

I have had a similar thing happen twice too - my resting heart rate suddenly spiked up to 130 bpm for no apparent reason (my normal resting heart rate is quite low, about 50 bpm). I also felt dizzy and jittery, like I'd drunk 10 cups of coffee. I saw a cardiologist about it and actually one time it happened while I was connected to an ECG monitor in hospital, so the doctors were able to see exactly what was going on with my heart. They said it was something called inappropriate sinus tachycardia, which is not uncommon and is benign and nothing to worry about. Sometimes your heart's electrical system can just go a little haywire. I've had pulmonary embolisms in the past and I'm also on Eliquis for life but they said it is nothing to do with the tachycardia.

If you are concerned, speak to your doctor.

• Posted

resting heart rate for me is normal right now but I'm finding it hard to be comfortable in my own skin because of this.

• Posted

how long did it take for you to fully recover from yours? I'm into day 2 since this happened and I feel like any sort of exertion will do me in.

• Posted

as for the PE's that you've had, have you had an instance where you had a clot while taking Eliquis?

• Posted

Mine was shorter - about 15 minutes the first time, and 3 hours the second time. If your symptoms are continuing, you should probably get it checked out just in case.

• Posted

No, I have not had a PE while on Eliquis. My first DVT/PE was following major surgery. They first put me on Clexane and then Eliquis. The second PE occurred 2 years later, after I was off anticoagulants, so they put me back on Eliquis for life. The probability of getting a PE while you are on Eliquis is very low.

• Posted

I couldnt track time while experiencing this but I would have to guess it lasted a few hours and got better when I was at home. i didnt do much exercise on friday since it was hot in my area, that's why i suspect a blood clot. definitely going to get it checked out.

• Posted

I didn't move around as much that day, period. someone I know said that it could've been a lack of protein, high sugar intake. I think it was the pizza that i ate, it had high sodium in it and I had it before I went on the ride.

• Edited

Good that you are getting it checked out. I have been to the hospital a couple of times worried about a PE recurrence over the years, so I completely understand your worries. They will probably give you a d-dimer test to rule out a blood clot, but as I said, I was told it's highly unlikely if you are taking Eliquis.

If it is inappropriate sinus tachycardia (IST), my cardiologist said there are a few things that can trigger it, like caffeine, lack of sleep, anxiety or stress. You said you have been anxious which is why I mention it. I don't know if too much sodium can cause it, but I know that too little sodium can lead to an electrolyte imbalance, which can cause heart rhythm problems.

I'm not a doctor though and your situation may be completely different to mine, so obviously speak to your doctor about it.

• Posted

going into the doc tomorrow. praying it isnt another clot.

• Posted

ok, my doc doesn't suspect a blood clot, thank god. they do want me on a halter monitor for a week or so.

• Posted

aaaand now I have doubts about my docs diagnosis since they didnt do any testing like d-dimer and Ct scans. remembering the pattern from my heart rate I counted at least 140-160 bpm that day.

doc isnt worried about a blood clot in my lungs but now I'm more worried about a clot moving through my body, which sucks because it could be anywhere by now, and I dont want to wait until I either have a heart attack or stroke. how do I get tested for a free-roaming clot when I currently dont have symptoms?

• Posted

I guess what I should be asking is: did you just outright say you had a blood clot when you went to the ER? I'm thinking of going to get checked out there tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.