Posted , 4 users are following.
I met my husband 3 years ago, he was a man in a lot of pain, in a house by himself suffering. I choose to be with him and find an answer to his chronic pain ( mind you he was suffering way before I met him). After crying and fighting with doctors telling them he is not a drug Seeker, but a person in pain we finally got a diagnosis.... chronic pancreatitis! Please dont think that with a diagnosis everything got better cause it didn't. We struggle every day with this and the sad part is there is no cure for this diagnosis. The reason for my post is not to tell you how awful and life changing this is... for family and person going through this horrible chronic illness, but to tell you the steps i have taken to TRY and find my husband some relief and a little better quality of life with his kids and self.
1. Pain medications he has been on all types and strength still he has chronic pain
2. celiac plexus block it worked for a while, but lately he has had no relief in pain actually we are in the hospital every day.
3. Depending on the severity/scarring of the pancreas they will have other procedures available (whipple procedure) read on it and discuss with your doctor if its for you. He cant have this since the scarring is all over his pancreas.
4. Im in the process of seeing another pain specialist to try and discuss a pain pump. (I pray this is the answer for us)
5. Another option is to go to a specialty hospital in Gainesville and see what other options they have for him.
6. If it all fails he was referred to a special surgeon in Alabama to remove his pancreas completely (rember that option is last resort with lots of unknown risk) please do your research before taking that step and make sure its a doctor that has done that type of procedure before. Like his doctor told me ONLY HE CAN DECIDE TO TOTALLY REMOVE HIS PANCREAS... its his choice what quality of life he wants.
Remember this will never be cured, but you can fight to have a better quality of life. Hope this is helpful to someone else, trust and believe i know what you all are going through as we speak im in the hospital with my husband dealing with this evil illness.
0 likes, 6 replies