Dont see no positives to this.........

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had high blood pressure for a couple months now (I believe due to putting 2 stone in weight on at the start of the year) but my doctor, aswell as 2 others and a doctor from ER/A&E have said it was due to anxiety as I also have Light headeness, pains that cone and go in stomach/chest etc and started me on sertraline 50mg a month ago but I refused to take them until about 10 days ago and have being taken 1 daily since alongside 1 diazepam 2mg daily but my BP still fluctuates between 115/70 up to 160/95 on a normal day but today when I went to see my doctor It was 144/111 and he was not happy.

He had tried putting me on Atenlol but I refused to go on a beta blocker at the age of 28 so he gave me this amlopedine 5mg to take but all i have read this evening is bad things with some going as far as poison. On top of this it is banned in some countries.

Off course I want to get my BP down but what I have read is enough to put any one off and live with high BP until my heartheart gives up.

Instead I have ordered some garlic capsules to add to cod liver oil and magnesium i already take but is there any other meds to help lower Blood pressure you guys have tried and would recommend?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Well hey, if your BP varies that much, and includes those low readings, then I'm not sure what to say. But I never accept a doctor's diagnosis of "anxiety" until all other reasons have been seriously evaluated.

If you gained that weight, how about losing it! You know, the doctors know, and we know, that's the best bet there is. How's your blood glucose and A1C readings?

If your BP gets that high, taking some BP drugs (until you can lose the weight) is probably your best idea. Sure there are dietary approaches as well, but they're a lot of work, and your real dietary issue is weight.

But on the atenolol, if you try taking that, watch the dosage - for me 12.5mg once a day is plenty, and that's about 1/4 of the normal low dose. And if you don't want to try the amlodipine at all, ask for an ACE or ARB instead. Many people are fine with amlodipine - my own brother is, although it was a bad deal for me and I got off it.

• Posted

Thankyou for replying, I didn't want to accept it as anxiety and have argued it has to be an underlining problem but after blood tests for the following: Renal Profile (UE), Liver Profile (LFT), Bone Profile (BONE), Thyroid (TSH), FBC (F), HbA1c (A1C) Fasting Lipids (FL), LDL, HDL and all have come back fine (cholesterol ratio was 3.2). I also have a glucose monitor at home and test a few times a week but that is normal between about 4.0 up to about 5.5. On top of this the Dr has also run a second ECG which apparently come back fine. I have being reffered to a cardiologist for peace of mind but there is a wait to see one.

I was given 25mg atenlol but read it can go to far the other way and that scared me. I haven't seen many successes with the amlodipine even though I was told it was the softest blood pressure med. If you dont mind me asking did your brother have any side effects?

• Posted

@tom12424, my brother says no side-effects - but he was always a bit goofy so who knows! 😃

• Posted

Posted on the forum.. about 2 months ago responding to a Netherlands post that said that Amlodipine was not banned...in the Netherlands...Victoria LIVES in the Netherlands..and it is NOT BANNED their or anywhere else in the world. Amlodipine is actually on the ESSENTIAL drug list for 3rd World Nations Does that make it suitable for everyone and at the as prescribed dosages Absolutely Not.!

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/amlodipine-is-not-banned-in-the-netherlands-676575?amp;utm_source=forum&utm_campaign=discussion-notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Patient.info&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email

Best Wishes

• Posted

Thankyou for sharing this link, I might have to take them and see if they work for myself but being only 28 I really dont /didn't want to take something that people call poision.

• Posted

Please do not believe everything you read! 3 yrs ago I was the same . Scared stiff to take my Anlodopine because of what I had read. Yes some people do get side affects but you can with any drug even aspirin.My nieces husband is a DR and he said it has NOT been banned in the Netherlands . Its just a ru mour thats been circulating on here! Ive been taking it for 3 yrs with no side affects at all except lovely low BP. Faced with a stroke or heart attack I know what I would choose !!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.