Dont understand my spirometry results

Posted , 4 users are following.

I took a lung function test on tuesday because i had been sick with a chest infection for 10 weeks well was better but slight cough and wheezy my results came in an the computer says normal if i put my numbers into the calculator on this site it says normal but my doctor told me i have copd im only 31 i have two kids who are young an ive been anxious and having constant panic attacks since she told me i suffer health anxiety

I went to another doctor an asked her to explain what copd was because the diagnosing doctor Litrally said you have this then pushed me out the door can anyone help me understand my results

fvc 3.9%pred 92.96

fev1 3.29 %pred 99.19

Fev1% 83.9. % pred 106.98

Pef. 6.92% pred 109.57

Fev1/vc 83.9

If ive written the wrong numbers please let me know what i need an ill post them i have my print off the doctor gave me at home

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Can i add the second doctor i went to said she doesnt think i have copd an if i worked on my weight ( obese ) and my anxiety and stress i would be ok but for some stupid reason my anxiety wont accept just her answer now im terrified
  • Posted

I would say the 2nd Doctor is correct. The first was probably trying to worry you into doing something about your weight, which is indeed highly important, but not perhaps the best way to get you to do it !  At the end of the day, only YOU can and must take responsibility for your health.
    • Posted

Ive been researching online since tuesday and from everything i read i was in the lower range but could be close so maybe she was trying to scare me but if that was the case she didnt tell me to loose weight where the 2nd dr did. i have been eating so healthy since tuesday and also going for walks and plan to keep on doingg that because i am so very scared and want to be around for my kids.
  • Posted

hi your figures look good to me.  it would be very unusual to have copd at 31,  unless there is a genetic link or you have spent many years in certain occupations ie the rag trade.

Copd is otherwise normally diagnosed after decades smoking in the over 50 age. group.  if the doctor has said your results are normal then trust that they are.  this sounds like your health anxiety so concentrate on treatment for that instead.

• Posted

älso stop googling as this is making your anxiety worse. 

too copd in early stages is by no means a death sentence,  the chänces are it would not ever lead to permanänt disabily and you still have a long and healthy life ahead of you.  be careful you don't worry yourself into an early grave!

• Posted

You sound exactly like my husband he has told me for the last few days to get off my phone and away from google and concentrate on living smile

The 2nd doctor i went to has set up a mental health plan for me which i have been begging doctors for for the past year as i know my health anxiety is starting to really affect me more than i would want on anyone im so over constant fear and crying,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply it means alot to me

• Posted

I agree with everyone figures look good so don't worry and looking on Google is the worse thing you can do.

• Posted

Thank you ive felt a little bit less stressed today

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.